1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with new sub.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Godzooky, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a CHT-10 Velodyne sub from Uncle Eric and I am having problems setting it up.

I have a Denon 1801 receiver and Bose AM6 speakers. What leads do I need and what is the best way to connect sub to receiver? There is a pre-out on the receiver marked "sub" but this is a single lead yet the input on the sub needs both L & R inputs. There are also spring clips on the sub - do i need to attach the speakers? They are currently attached to the Accoustimass module and then this is linked to the receiver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

Are you planning on using the CHT 10 in conjunction with the Acoustimas system or instead of? Or do your bose cubes have to run via the Acoustimas box?

The CHT10 only needs to be connected via the low level phono connection to the sub pre-out of the Denon. Just plug the cable into either the left or right input of the sub. If you want, you can buy a Y-splitter cable to use both inputs.

3. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help.

If I use a Y splitter into both inputs will it make a difference as opposed to only one input going into the sub?

I think I am going to have to keepo everything plugged in via the accoustimass. Will this affect the sound quality from the sub? I can't see how it would. If I select "Sub YES" on receiver then this should effectively reduce the usage of the accoustimass module.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Having both the inputs connected on the sub is really for the AUTO switch on/off, it increases the sensitivity so the sub switches on at lower volume levels. To be honest its best to leave the sub switched on all the time. I´ve got both connected on my Velodyne as I happened to have a Y splitter kicking about spare.

I´d imagine the CHT 10 will take over where the Bose sub module starts to leave off. Try the various settings on the amp to see which gives you the best results. Start with all speakers set to small and all bass directed to the sub. Set the crossover on the sub to maximum (or switch it OUT if the CHT10 has this option). This way the CHT10 will handle everything from around 80hz downwards whilst the bose module and its satellites take everything from 80hz upwards.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I cannot comment specifically on your sub as i don't own one, however subs which i have owned in the past that accept two inputs have sounded better with a signal at each phono rather than the one.