Help needed with new Revo R6310 / Hauppauge HTPC build - sound and tuner not working

petermcc

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all - having 'lurked' and digested info on here for a few weeks now (actually been on and off for years!) I went ahead and bought from eBuyer a:

I have many years experience of building my own PC's and every version of Windows since 3.0 and this went together very easily (as in you just connect everything up via USB!). First thing to go was Linpus and installed a clean and legit copy of Windows 7 Pro. Activated it and it picked up all the R6310 hardware with the latest drivers downloaded from the web on 21/6/10.

First problem I noticed was no sound via HDMI to a new Phillips 26" TV (don't know the model right now sorry) in my hotel room where I am based weekdays. The Revo appears to be outputting sound, nothing in Device Manager to say that their is a hardware problem, just no sound from the TV. No sound from the headphone socket either. No settings on the TV other than obvious ones ie selecting Source.

Next problem is with the Hauppage Tuner, again installed ok with drivers downloaded from the web and the supplied CD. Appears to be functioning but cannot pick up any channels at all via the mini aerials in dual mode or diversity mode. I would have thought it would at least pick up something even if poor quality?

Mods - please feel free to move this to the Revo thread (I have read all posts on both threads), however I think this is not a Revo problem and probably my ignorance of MCE :lease:

EDITED to UPDATE: Tuner does work - managed to hook it into hotel aerial (don't ask...)
Presumably the little aerials supplied aren't up to much in the way of reception due their size? I am in Northampton so not sure where the mast is? Sound still not working though.

Last edited:
In my experience there are two things to know about the Nova DT Diversity.

1. The whips only really prove useful in Diversity mode (where the two tuners act as a single tuner) where the two aerials' signals are combined to reduce the number of errors.

2. They work much better abroad - where 8k rather than 2k modulation is used. (8k is in use in UK regions where analogue has been switched off)

I've had great results with the twin whips in hotels in Germany, Netherlands and Sweden, but not so good results here in the UK.

In my experience there are two things to know about the Nova DT Diversity.

1. The whips only really prove useful in Diversity mode (where the two tuners act as a single tuner) where the two aerials' signals are combined to reduce the number of errors.

2. They work much better abroad - where 8k rather than 2k modulation is used. (8k is in use in UK regions where analogue has been switched off)

I've had great results with the twin whips in hotels in Germany, Netherlands and Sweden, but not so good results here in the UK.

Thanks for the info - I will install the system in it's new home connected to a decemt aerial just wondered how portable a system could be....
Interestingly after setting up MCE with a fixed aerial and then swapping to the whips, I do get some activity - just enough.

And still no sound from anywhere :(

Re-installed the drivers and now I get sound from the headphones but no matter what I try NOTHING from the HDMI. Green levels bouncing up and down happily and I can select it as default. EDITED to say tried brand new HDMI lead too - still no sound! help! :lease:

Last edited:
No back home and plugged in HDMI to my 4 year old Samsung 32" flatscreen and sound works! Must be the Phillips TV in the hotel that was at fault? I could not find ANY setttings to allow me to control sound source. I need to buy a new TV for the Revo HTPC and now worried it will not be compatible? Any thoughts? Was just going to get a cheap 1080 32" Lowry from Morrisons on sale for £249 for now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom