1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with new Plasma screen.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by three_tone, Jun 23, 2004.

1. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yesterday recieved my new plasma screen a Techwood 42" job from curries.

Tested it with dvd and it looks fantastic, plugged in sky+ and video, video is ok.

Sky+ i'm having a nightmare with, some channels are lovely, others are really badly blocky, especially on grey's/black's.

Is this a general issue with plasma screens or is something wrong?

And does anyone know the sky+ remote code for controlling the tv with the sky+ remote?

Thanks

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately Sky is (badly) compressed which is the blockiness you are seeing. You can help it a bit by using an RGB connection from digibox to plasma, this will not improve blockiness so much but is definitely worth doing. Only a better video processor (found in more expensive plasmas or in dedicated units) would do a better job of reducing the blockiness. Even still it won't get rid of it though :(

TO MAKE AN RGB CONNECTION

Go into your Digibox service menu, select picture settings, and make sure Video Output is set to RGB not PAL. Also worth lowering contrast to low...

For the physical connection ensure you are using a fully wired scart lead, and that this runs from the socket on the Sky box labelled TV, and is running to an RGB enabled socket on the plasma (usually AV1). You may need to check the manual to make sure AV1 is RGB enabled. :lesson:

You may also need to go into the plasma menu to "tell" the plasma it is recieving RGB, again check the manual for this (I have no experience of the Techwood so haven't a clue!)

Hope this helps!!

3. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, it does help ever so slightly but it still badly blocky on people's faces or large areas of simular shades, (grass etc)

What sort of price bracket are we talking before they get better?
    For instance is the 32" panasonic lcd screen at currys better?

I'm not overly impressed at the moment at the whole screen so am contemplating sending it back and getting something else, but I have no idea which to get. I'm talking like a max of £2500 really.

Sky+ and the kids dvds/video's is what it's mainly used for at present.

Thanks

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Haven't seen the Panasonic LCD yet but heard good things, Philips LCD has a very good picture, as do the latest generation Sharps. Panasonic and Pioneer are the most popular plasmas.

From the looks of it you're after a TV not just a monitor so a 32" LCD TV is probably your best bet. Have a read around the forum though, if you think you would get on fine with a monitor (it will only display the source you feed it and a sounds system is required although you can attach speakers to it) then get a 42" Panny!

5. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have a seperate sound system at the moment so it needs to have some form on built in audio/speakers.

I take it you mean a 42" panasonic plasma instead?
    What would be a good one for under £2500?

I read most dont come with a mounting bracket, are these easy to get hold of?

Thanks

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The clip on speakers for monitors tend to be very overpriced, but you can use any speakers (plasma has standard springclip terminals) to tide you over until you go for big Cinema Sound :eek:

You'd be looking for the Panasonic 42PWD6 or 42PW6 or Fujitsu 42VHA30. Bear in mind plasmas don't tend to come with mounts or terminal boards as standard, although many retailers are now including one terminal and a mount as a package (the Fujitsu 42VHA30 is a rebadged Panasonic and includes in its price scart, component and s-video terminals plus a 2 year warranty too).

7. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that again.

I'll keep my existing screen for a couple days and see how I get on with it.
    It's suffering the few extra quid again though which the wife won't be best please about =)

Is there any other way to make the signal from a SKY+ box better? it's mainly the close up faces and larger areas of the same colour like I said that are the main issue.

Thanks

8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not without spending mega dollar on a video processor! I think you'll find the picture will settle as the plasma ages, plus colour type issues may be helped by adjusting the settings on the plasma (contrast, brightness, colour etc) since out of the box they are set waaaaaaay too high...

9. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took a photo of what i mean about the background / large areas but it didn't come out very well.

Look at the top right hand corner above the womans head. It's very blocky and in sections not all nicely graded.

http://www.maniax.co.uk/plasma.jpg

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The photo's not much help unfortunately, but I think like Liam, it's the techwood that's at fault. It's a currys own brand, built down to a price, and what you are seeing is probably due to the limitations of the display, ie not able to display enough colours. The panasonic is a bit of a steal currently, especially if you find the HD panny we had nicked a few weeks ago:D . You'd probably be happy with the scart connection initially, and as Liam says, a pair of speakers connected to the spring clip terminals till you take the surround sound plunge could be as little as £50. Get a deal with a wall mount/desk top stand and scart board included, and you might well get some change from 2.5k and one of the best plasmas on the market too.

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    There's no doubt that, as they go, the Techwood is a budget product.

But....if it is OK on DVD, then it's maybe a bit unjust to blame the display. This is most probably an artefact of compression from $ky.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A charitable view, Nigel, but sky is usually OK on other plasmas, I've seen the Techwood and pushed it's buttons. I regret to say it didn't push mine.

13. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Been having a look around and can get a 42PWD6 For about £2100.
    With a scart board included, but they want £150 for a wall bracket, i'm sure there are cheaper ones around somewhere.

http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/cgi-bin/webelectricals.storefront/EN/Product/1019

Will this stop the background problems i'm getting on the Techwood?

I jsut doubled checked and the DVD quality is simular to the SKY+ image, as in the backgrounds and blocked areas aren't that good, so i guess that makes it a screen problem.

As that one doesn't have a tv tuner I guess I just plug the sky+ system daisy chaining all the other stuff, dvd/video etc straight into the screen via the scart cable?

Is this the best one around for the money as I don't want to get it after persuding the missus that it is better to not see and improvement =)

Thanks again for all the replies.

14. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    you can get a hitachi 42pd5200 for around £2,400 and it's supposed to be pretty good with sky digital. It's a plasma tv rather than just a display so you have all you need in the box. Panasonic's plasma tv (PE30) is a bit more, but you can get a 37" version for around £2,300.
    Both should be better than the techwood.

15. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  16. malcb

malcb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i brought my techwood at the begining of may, had it replaced after 1 week as it kept turning itself off. the replacement had the same problem with picture quility, i changed scart leads and it improved. The picture quility on sky+ is improving all the time, you have to wait for the screen to settle which could take a while

17. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.

Having spoken with Curries who are coming out tommorow to have a look, the guy who I spoke to and bought from in curries had one himself and ranted on about it which is why i bought it.

Having made the settings changes it is much better, and they are bringing some super duper scart cables with them tommorow (mine are mid range ones) to see if that makes any difference.

I hope that is all the problem is to be honest.

I guess curries wont take it back as it has been out the box and in their eyes not faulty.

Malcb: Roughly how long and how much better is the image after giving it time to settle?

18. malcb

malcb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had mine for about 5 weeks now and the quality has improved but not as good as i want it...still get the problems you have but not as bad

19. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you given hindsight have changed for a different screen if you could have?

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    You really should go out and have a look at a panasonic before the guy gets round, there isn't just a slight difference.

For £2150 you can get a pw6 with a scart input and either desk stand or wall mount, this would leave you £350 in your budget to get one of the all in one surround systems from Pioneer or sony or such like.
    I had a Pioneer DCS-303 which is a digital amp, with tuner and dvd player built in, it comes with 5 small satallite speakers and a Sub, and is pretty good, better than you are going to get from the built in TV speakers anyway.

If you want to get a refund I would say that the first set you had did not have the problems this one has so you know it isn't right. No SUPER scart will sort out what you are seeing, it is the panel not being able to display enough steps in the greyscale.

21. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had curry's come around and they can't find a fault with the box saying the contouring is normal and is expected on a 42" palsma due to the size increase of the image.

On explaining this isn't the case on the higher contrast ratio plasma's they agreed.

But are refusing to offer me a refund as it is not faulty and the box has been opened.

Even though i'm saying they sold me something that doesn't suit my requirements.

They did offer me some Panasonic Viera 42 inch thing at £3500 but this is way over what i wanted to pay, especially as I can get the pw6 at £2400 all in.

Any ideas on what to do next?

22. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You surely should get 7 days to return the unit for a refund if its not suitable. And you can actually get a PW6 for £2140 with 1 board and a wall bracket or desk stand if you look on this board a little harder, oh and thats with delivery included! ;)

There is no 'normal contouring' on my Panny :D

23. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There wording on their returns policy

"Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition"

and as I have taken it out of the box and put it on the wall this no longer applies.

I'm fuming at the moment and contemplating taking it up to the currys store and throwing it through there window.

Either that or making a fault appear on it to get a refund.

24. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    If you can get your money back I would have to give another thumbs up for the PW6. Mine seems to improved hugely now its all but run in. I hardly ever notice the colour banding effect on anything, even when I am looking out for it! I was watching Black Hawk Down on sky last night but had to finish it on DVD as there were two progs I needed to record. I gotta say Sky+ is pretty good, not as sharp as dvd obviously but far far better than I was expecting when I ordered the screen. As for DVD, R2 BHD running on my HK2550 looked simply STUNNING, I haven't seen a better picture (no really, I personally haven't). I actually found myself sitting in the living room alone and smirking athow impressive it was lol

I hope you manage to get everything sorted to your satisfaction! :)

25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Just tell them that the first one didn't do it, there for as far as you are concerned it is faulty

26. three_tone

three_tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't have two screens, I think another guy posted that he had problems with his and he had to get a replacement.

I think i may have found a workaround so fingers crossed if not im gonna stalk currys employes and hide them in a small room until they give in and give me a refund.

But given my experience with their staff they would probably be happier that they were gone !!! =)

27. pany

pany

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    currys are a nightmare for there returns policy, once in a shop where a guy had bought a 1600 pound toshiba and to fit it in a cabinet he had got a leccy to remove the plug, thread the cable through the back and replace the plug.

When he switched it on he said the picture was "contorted and very green", currys claimed this was from removing the plug and refused a refund. :thumbsdow

28. RemotecUK

RemotecUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just brought a PW6 that I am happy with apart from the banding which I have noticed a couple of times. Are you saying that the banding reduces over time, and is it a limitation of the amount of colours that can be displayed on the screen?

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not usually a PW6 problem, is it tv, dvd or both?

30. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well to me its less noticeable now. When I first got the screen running for a day or two I noticed it alot and it did annoy me slightly. Now however I hardly notice it. Unless by total fluke I'm not watching material that causes this 'feature' to happen. Something like Finding Nemo still shows it up a bit, when they are chased by the fish with a light dangling in front of it etc but thats probably the worst case scenario. Sunsets, dark areas going in to light areas etc all have lovely gradual colour changes on both Sky+ and DVD.

Not sure what causes it but I think it is a limitation of colours as you say :confused:

EDIT: I have taken a couple of quick pictures of the screen to show you how the screen performs. Before you view them please remember I paused the dvd to take them, a paused picture never looks as good as when its moving so these shots do not look as good as the screen itself, they are just to give you a better idea of how good I think the screen handles this colour issue. Also note Finding Nemo is by far the worst of any film I have viewed on this screen which is why I have included it. I have the R1 version, R2 is supposed to have a superior transfer. Also try to include the difficulty I had getting screen shots to come out, I kept getting wavey lines all over the shop! So I'll just say one last time: These shots do NOT look anywhere near as good as the screen itself, they are just to give you an idea of the colour banding and the way it handles it. Hope they are of some help to someone :)

Attached Files: