Help needed with kit choice

A

Aryxx

HI,

I recently decided to start upgrading my hifi seperates and bought a Pioneer vsx-c502. So far I've got it connected to my PS2 for dvd/cd's. I'm running a pair of Mission 701 speakers with a Gale 3070 sub.

I was initially disappointed with the lack of adjustment to music with the Pioneer but I find that cd's sound clear and defined which is great but I expected more for the money.

What I need to know is:
Is the pioneer amp any good, or are there better for the price?

Are there better amps for playing dvd and cd's at the same price or less?

What centre/surround speakers will match my mission speakers? Or am I better off starting fresh?

Sorry, I know there's plenty of Q's but just need some guidance.

Cheers all.

I don't know your amp but I would say that it'll be fine for playing cd's and DVD's. However using the PS2 to play them is where the problems start. The PS2 is not made for playing cd's and dvd's, it was more of an after thought. An add on to a games console. Go and spend £100 (or whatever it is) on a Pioneer DD 565a and you won't be disappointed! the music and AV playback is a million times better than the PS2!!!

I've been looking at the matching Pioneer DV575A and Panasonic DMR-E55 recorder from from richer sounds which I believe are both 5.1, but the amp is 6.1... Is this a problem? Are they good for music cd's?

Cheers

I don't know what you expected from a cheap receiver? The output of the Pioneer is 60W in stereo at 1% distortion, so it will drive your speakers with no problem. Will be much less than this with 5 channels driven, so keep to efficient speakers like the ones you have.

Can't see from the specs whether you can switch off the surround modes, but CDs should be played in direct stereo if you can. A good CD player will sound much better than your PS2 by the way.

Current Mission speakers that will match yours are the m3c2 centre and m31 or m32 for surrounds. Alternatively try to pick up the 700c2 and a pair of 70ds or 70 surrounds off ebay.

Mr Mission

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom