Help Needed With Jargon Busting!

F

Frainy

I'm looking into buying speaker cable. I'll be setting up a Denon Avr 1907 and some Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers in the coming weeks. They come with speaker cable but I've guessed it probably won't be up to much, am I right in thinking this?
Secondly, what do half of the terms/jargon actually mean? Basiclly what SHOULD I be looking for? I'm guessing half of the things like "Oxygen free" don't actually make any difference and are actually just added to make it seem as if you're getting more for your money!

Then there's the issue of cable for my sub. I'm guessing I should buy something decent? Suggestions please? Also again, what should I be looking for?

I saw somebody say this isn't a bad buy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Pure...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210018532&sr=1-2

I've also looked at the qed silver anniversary xt cables. I don't MIND paying £5 a metre. I'd rather not. But if the difference is that great then I will.

thanks in advance.

Paul

sbowler

Have a read of this. Around !0% of the system cost should be spent on cables and interconnects, thats the rule of thumb anyway. I would think £5 a meter should be fine. The cable for the sub, I wouldnt spend a fortune on either.

F

Frainy

That has all made my head hurt! Quite a lot as it goes. I had seen sort of 20/30 pound sub cables. I'm guessing thats quite a lot for what it is.

spl23

Have a read of this. Around !0% of the system cost should be spent on cables and interconnects, thats the rule of thumb anyway. I would think £5 a meter should be fine. The cable for the sub, I wouldnt spend a fortune on either.

The figure of 10% of the cost of the system on cables is proposed by one major group of people - cable manufacturers. It is utter nonsense...

A decent analogue interconnect should cost no more than £20 - that's how much a company like Deltron charge for 4 decent plugs, some good quality cable and a bit of labour to put them together. Perfectly decent speaker cable can be had for under £2 a meter - I'm currently cabling £2500 worth of Arcam electronics to £4000 worth of B&W speakers with QED 79 strand, which cost about £1 a metre. My sub is hooked up with a 30 quid QED cable, which I mainly bought due to needing one in a hurry and not being bothered to go to Maplin and buy the components to make my own. Don't buy into the cable rip-off - the vast majority of cables make no difference at all, and they certainly aren't worth the ludicrous sums charged.

The Belkin cable from Amazon you have found will be fine - you won't hear a difference by paying £5 a metre.

F

Frainy

spl23. I had heard this from a few people as it goes. I'm now even contemplating sticking whether the cable that came with my speakers. Would this be a bad idea?

spl23

spl23. I had heard this from a few people as it goes. I'm now even contemplating sticking whether the cable that came with my speakers. Would this be a bad idea?

Put it this way - Tannoy sell the speakers, and are presumably quite happy for people to buy them based on hearing them demonstrated with that cable. If it was making them sound dreadful, it would be in Tannoy's interest to supply better cable. So Tannoy don't seem to think it is worth spending more money on cable for those speakers - I'd be inclined to trust them...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom