Help needed with interpretation

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Liquid101, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    They've just launched a monthly photo comp at my workplace - with the winner of each month being selected to represent a month of a calendar which will eventually be sold for charity this time next year.

Anyway, as my workplace is full of scholars and academics, they've come up with a rather criptic and suitably pretentious theme for the first month:

'Library See, Library Do'

I've been sitting on this for weeks wondering how on earth I represent this in a single photograph. Even with the full rescorces of a copyright library at my disposal, i'm finding it a tough one. Even more than 'round things'

Anyway, in my desperation to enter, I made this photograph today. All C&C welcome, but quite honestly i'm shamelessly hoping somebody will come up with a better idea. :lease: I've got another 3 days to enter.

[​IMG]

2. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    How about a shot of the whole library floor with people reading and choosing books, in fact a normal scene, shot from a higher level if possible.

Perfectly exposed and composed, the challenge is to use your photohraphic skills to make and ordinary scene, something special, i know you can do it.:cool:

3. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    I quite like the image you've posted.

For an idea how about some one sitting on the floor with their head in their hands surrounded by say 50 books some opened some closed. If you could think of a good topic for the books to be on like "stress" then that would be even better me thinks.

Obviously that would require you to make a bit of a temporary mess in one of the isle's!! but all in the good name of photography :thumbsup:

4. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Like this you mean? This was my entry into the AVF 'work' comp some months back. I could reshoot when it's a little busier.

[​IMG]

5. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    I was hoping it would be a more old fashioned type library, sort open plan with wooden racks full of books and wooden tables and chairs, the photo, although its a very good photo, its a very sterile sort of place which is hard to make anything of it.

It was be nice if you could get permission to take a photo in an older library with more character, but i dont think you have time to organise this.

Another thought i working with what you have got, is a shot of person with a bit of character reading an open book standing in front of a big rack of books.
    Just a thought.

6. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    Blimey Barry - the North reading room was opened in 1916 and has been left virtually untouched since. How old do you want it!? :D The other reading rooms are much more modern, and have very little style or character at all.

I take your point though, this shot doesn't really show the considerable character of the building or interior.

Oh well - thanks for the ideas.

As the comp is only open to the library's 300 or so staff, i'm sure the competition won't be that tough :)

7. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Or, if all else fails you can employ the Bodoman method of photography:laugh:

Attached Files:

8. SweetGirl

SweetGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Liquid

The photo you have posted is great.....and definely shouts out 'Library' to me.

Saw this one first on ur flickr site and without knowing where u was submitting it i interpreted it as

' A boy (who looked very much like Harry Potter :D) studying in the library.....'

Think you've got a good chance of winning with this shot..

Good luck and let us know how you get on...