Help needed with DVD Decision

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yatesd, Jun 5, 2002.

1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Looking for any advice going.

I have an old DVD player (about 4 years now) and looking to replace. I have money to spend and am trying to decide whether to go for a really good DVD Audio player or simply a really good DVD Video player.

I think the latter is the best idea, and hence am looking to spend up to say 800 GBP on a really good Video player.

My problem is that most reviews seem to focus on audio capabilities as well which does not bother me.

Basically, any recommendations for an excellent player with really good visuals (doesn't even need Decoders as have seperate).

Thanks,

Dave.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think most people will say the toshiba 900 is the one to go for.

I think if you spend £400 or more on a dvd player the picture quality is about the same you can only tell diffrence on a projecotr maybe or dark films eg matrix alien die hard

3. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Hi

The Toshiba SD900 would be the logical choice, excellent video quality, top notch audio, and also a DVD Audio player and is capable of outputting a progressive scan signal (NTSC) if you have a tv or projector that can accept it.

Available from www.leconcepts.com for 699 quid.

cheers

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I would agree that the Tosh is the choice at the price your looking for, infact less than. But I wouldn't bother about DVD-Audio capabilities as there just is not enough software.
    It just happens to have it, so 'bonus'.

Just go for the maximum picture quality.

5. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for the responses.

My research had led me to the Arcam DV88.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this versus the Toshiba mentioned above.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Well its 300 smackers more and even more dosh if you want to upgrade to prog scan.... Tosh is still probably the better player.

Some complaints have been raised as to specific software problems (certain discs not playing), sorry your gonna have to trawl this site for more info.

7. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

I will do a trawl and see what everyone else has said about the Arcam.

Down from 1300 to 699, does seem like a great bargain to me considering teh reviews it had at the higher price.

Dave.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely no reason to go for the Arcam over the SD900E to be honest, it is a bargain at £699, fantastic player although it doesn't do PAL progressive (don't know if that's an issue for you) and it could be argued the de-interlacing of the upgraded DV88 is better than the 900E but the upgraded DV88 costs £1200 or so! As a CD player the 900E is superb and it does have DVD-Audio which although I agree isn't that much of a bonus considering the titles available it's still nice to have and does sound great!

Cheers
    Andy

9. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found the DV88 for 800 now, which brings it closer, and have found the FM27 version for 1300 as well.

PAL Progressive is not so important now, but will I regret that 2 months down the line when they start shipping PAL in progressive. That one I don't know.

Dave.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but the bog standard DV88 doesn't even do progressive scan on NTSC , you need an upgrade at a cost of £350 ish to get progressive scan from it. So your £800 is getting you something £100 more than the SD900E and without DVD-Audio or progressive scan in any shape or form. I know where my money would go!

Andy

11. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must admit that I am kind of leaning that way to, at teh end of teh day over a 1000 is alot to justify to me (let alone what the other half would say if she find out).

I think maybe the Tosh is the right choice as well.

Thanks for all the imputs everyone.

Dave.

12. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The Tosh has some very useful features and some very clever features too. The remote is very easy to get on with, (I've heard a few people complain about the Arcam remote being cumbersome or not sensitive enough).

PAL discs are not shipped in PS, the PS side of things is mostly all down to the player and screen. If you never intend to buy a plasma or projector you will not need a PS player (or at least not yet, but soon a lot more PS capable tv's will be on the market) I think there are only two as yet.

I think it maybe best to cover your backside and get the best you can afford for now and get a PS player, you'll probably find yourself upgrading soon enough!

Because when i started out I mainly bought dvd's, I bought R1 disc to play in PS on the Tosh. But now I find myself renting more discs out which are R2 of course. Cos I've bought a few bad dvd's ie. 6th Day and traffic, and can't return them (Play 247 give you stick if you try) I now see why a PAL PS player has many benifits.

Sorry to throw more caos your way in your decision but If I knew then what I new now, I could have litreally saved thousands of squid......

Pause for thought before you commit bud!

13. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I spoke to the people selling it cheap (link above) and they said that with the mod that they make for multi-region it is also PAL progressive and not just NTSC.

Is that possible, anyone any thoughts on that?? What would you say snowman to getting the Tosh, what would you go for??

By the way I am also starting to look now at interconnects - was thinking the QED Squart for picture.

As for Digital INterconnects, I have heard that Coaxial is better then Optical, anyone got any recommendations??

Also does it degrade performance to try and get more than 1 metre for digital cables (just wondering if I need to do another room rearrangement).

Cheers,

Dave.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    yatesd,
    If PQ is your grail, choose Toshiba SD900e, Denon 2800 or Arcam FMJ-DV27.
    Arcam Diva 88 close but no ... etc.

15. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi yatesd

Trust me, the Tosh 900 will output PAL PS but you will not like the results. Theres so many clitches it makes the Matrix look tame!

I would recommend this player over all your other possible buys, for its picture and sound quality alone let alone the mad price of £700 smackeroonies.

If your considering QED Squart (scart lead) for picture then I guess your not thinking about Progressive Scan at the moment?
    So this player becomes an even better choice. Very good leads.
    The TiaPan True Colour is the only other lead I think that just pips it, but its an extra £30 squid.

Most people, if they are honest will say that they cannot hear any difference between Optic and Coax. I think the tech issue is that the conversion stage is more complex with optical, but this is a very contentious issue. If you are having a long run with this cable (1mtr +) then I would say imo go for optic.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've received my 962SA today and from what I've seen/heard so far I'd definitely recommend it. See my impressions in the Philips 962SA on it's way thread for more info..

Cheers,
    Andy.