Help needed with DV575 and component please!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just bought this DVD player and have come across a problem. My TV (Thomson 32WB643) is connected via the component sockets to the 575. I am using Nikkai RGB component cables from Maplin. I have also connected the audio in sockets on the TV (the red and white ones next to the component sockets) to the audio out sockets on the DVD player (the same sockets- red and white). When I switch to AV4, which I believe is the component AV channel on the TV, the picture is very fuzzy with lots of interference, kind of like watching a bad analogue transmission. I was expecting the quality via prog scan to be absolutely superb, but am very disappointed. The picture quality when the DVD player is connected via non-RGB scart is way better. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?? Is there some sort of menu setting on the 575 which I should be changing?? Please help, as the girlfriend is not very happy with the picture and I am getting lots of grief!!!

Cheers

Bigweed

2. ashtongate

ashtongate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you changed the AV4 setting on your TV to accept Component ?

3. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    That's the exact same set-up I have and mine is excellent.

At first I couldn't get a signal due to the dvd player being set to interlaced, but a reset (hold 'stop' whilst turning on) set it back to progressive.

Some discs look better than others.

The League Of Extra...... looks absolutely stunning, whilst Kill Bill vol.2 looked slightly grainy.

Also you will need to mess about with the pic settings to find a pleasing picture.

I'm one of those people who is constantly adjusting it. I was still doing it with my 4yr old Grundig until yesterday :).

4. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pug72

Did you have to change the TV's AV setting? ie to Progressive, or HiPix, etc? As I cannot change mine!!

Also, at the mo I only have Sex and the City on DVD (girlfriends not mine!!). the pic quality is much better with interlaced than progressive via component on AV4. The progressive pic is very grainy compared to the interlaced one. Also, I have tried the pic thru RGB on AV1 and that is much better too than prog scan, as is normal video pic on AV1. Can you suggest what the graininess might have to do with, as I cannot think of anything??? Also, what is the best way to get sound to the TV, as I have got the sound going to the TV via the left / right audio out sockets next to the component sockets?

Cheers

Bigweed

5. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    I have the sound going to my 6.1 amp via optical, but your way is fine.

You cannot change from progressive to 'HiPix' or '100Hz', because it's, well, progressive.

I imagine the pic seems better on RGB is coz of it being softer. Plus 'Sex in The City' is hardly a dvd I'd use to set the picture on.

Like I say, you'll need to adjust the settings to suit yourself and it can look quite poor if set up wrong.

Try lowering the contrast and sharpness settings and turn off the other 'features'.

I've always prefered a 50Hz tv to a 100Hz due to the more natural picture, but I'm willing to sacrifice the Sky feed for a great progressive scan dvd screen.

I find that for the money this tv is great, even better than the 36" Sony that I sent back last year. Yes it has a few minor flaws, such as geometry but I'll be working on that via the service menu soon.

I've come to the conclusion that the perfect tv is impossible and have given up trying.

Keep with it mate, but if the pic quality really is very poor, it may be a fault. Try a different dvd.

(Sorry for the long post :))

6. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the reply Pug, will try LOTR as I hear that it is supposed to have a great picture. Will also turn down sharpness and contrast. When you say turn off the other features, what do you mean??

Also, any chance you could post the changes you make in the service menu on this thread?? It would be very highly appreciated, as I have no idea about what Im doing in the service menu.

Finally, did you make any changes in the DVD players menu for chroma, etc?? As I have no idea what any of those things are and whether they should be set differently to what they come as??

Cheers

Bigweed

7. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    It would be pointless posting any changes in geometry because every tv is different.

By 'features' I mean 'film' mode, the others such as 'photo' I think aren't available on AV4.

With regards to changing the player settings, again it's all down to personal choice.
    What I find great, you could find crap and vice-versa.

On the tv I have the colour set a few notches below centre, the brightness about 3/4 to the right and contrast a bit further left than the colour setting.
    Contrast Expansion I have set to low and the sharpness I have about a quarter the way across from the left, but this I alter depending on the pic quality of the disc.

LOTR is a great disc to show how great the pic can be and just goes to show how poor some of the transfers can be.

Have fun.