Help needed with crackling noise!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by eldrad, Jul 23, 2005.

1. eldrad

eldrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone

I have an old (don't laugh!) hifi system that has developed a fault.

I am getting crackling noises out of one of my Heco HB1 speakers.
    They are powered with a Mission Cyrus 1 amplifier.

I've swapped the two speakers around to check for damage to the speaker but with the same result. I've also swapped the speaker cables around and still only get music from the one speaker. I've even swapped the cables around on the Cyrus inputs to no avail.

It therefore doesn't seem to be the speakers or the cables so I'm wondering if I've got a problem in the Cyrus?

Any ideas? Would it be worth fixing it considering its age ?

I've been meaning to convert to an AV system but money is tight so what would be a good budget AV amp/receiver with phono stage for my Systemdek IIX turntable?

Thanks in advance

Eldrad

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    do you get the crackling when you adjust the volume on the Cyrus?
    I'm only guessing here but a friend had a crackling through his amp which turned out to be a dodgy/dirty potentiometer (volume control) - it was only noticeable whilst adjusting the volume.

3. eldrad

eldrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadn't thought of that!

However, I've just tried it out and the crackling from the speaker occurs whether I touch the volume control or not.

4. phalaris

phalaris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe your speakers are damaged. Borrow a set from a friend, or use a different amp on your speakers (whichever is easier).

Depending on whether it goes away or not you will tell if it is the speakers at fault or the amp.

Good luck

5. eldrad

eldrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've now tried it out with a pair of Tannoy speakers with the same results.

I'll have to look into repairing the Cyrus.

How much should I expect to pay for someone just to have a look at it to determine what needs fixing?

Thanks for all your thoughts.

6. phalaris

phalaris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should probably ring up your dealer and they will tell you what it costs to inspect it, and if they do then they will give you a quote. Then you can take it or leave it.