Help needed with computer speakers

Yorkshiredub

Standard Member
Hi, new to the forum and also new to audio stuff.

Would like to know if you people can tell me what sort of sound quality I'm gonna get if i use some swans m200 mkiii together with and apple airport express??
I have been looking for some good quality computer speakers and these have great reviews, i thought it would be nice to be able to play music from my laptop while I'm on the sofa.
Cheers.

BobBob21

Not great I would say.

Cannot comment on the speakers but the DAC in the Apple AE is poor (its only £80 for everything the device can do - most expenders cost that and cant be used for streaming, giving network access to usb devices or have ethernet ports etc)

So either you need to invest more in the streaming device, alternatively you could add a separate DAC as the optical out from the AE is fine but if your starting to add more boxes you could argue you just get an amp and then use passive speakers rather than the active swans

Yorkshiredub

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply, like i said this is all pretty new to me!
So am i right in thinking there are other devices available which would allow me to play songs from my laptop through speakers that are not connected up??

BobBob21

Yes, there are lots of them out there from fairly dumb terminal type things such as Apples AE where you "send" the music to it to more sophisticated ones which you control directly and "pull" the music through.

You can also get amps and standalone speaker/amp/"docking stations" all in one things that have the functionality. If you are into the Apple microcosm then look for "AirPlay" but there are other versions out there if you want to use something other than iTunes/iPhones etc.

The B&W Zeppelin Air is an all in one which you can either dock with or use it with AirPlay. Denon do amps with AirPlay capabilities from the top of my head but there are plenty of others - being Apple they are rarely the budget brands though

Last edited:

Yorkshiredub

Standard Member
Im aware of the airplay function but wanted some speakers rather than a docking station, I'm pretty set on these speakers.
I have looked at DAC's and found an Audioengine D1, if i used this with AE would this give me good sound?

BobBob21

I have no personal experience of using external DACs. I know others on here used to rave about the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic but I dont know if it is any longer in favour and looking at Richer Sounds I see they now have two models. The guys on the stereo/ hifi section of this site used to be the ones most frequently talking about them so may be worth having a wander over there

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom