1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with choice between ProntoPro and PDA for remote control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Fingolfin, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!
    I need an advice regarding the purchase of a remote
    control.
    I've just "finished" to build my home-theather system
    at home and I'm gonna buy a remote control in order
    to get rid of the tonz of remotes i have around.

I was gonna go for the Philips Pronto, then I saw
    how cooler the ProntoPro looks with its colour display
    so I was gonna go for it even if with sacrifice since
    it costs so much!

I've been reading though that you can use a pda,
    such as an Ipaq, with TV Remote Controller to use
    it like if it was a Pronto Pro since it can use the
    Pronto ccf files.

Now I can't make up my mind 'cause if the pda works
    well i'd definitely go for it! (More value and same or
    even less expense).
    There are mixed comments about using it though.

There are ppl enthusiast about its use as a remote
    and ppl who say it's got not enough IR range or that
    the sw sometimes halts... Most ppl seem to use Ipaq
    pda's such as 3830 or 3850.

I was wondering if there was anyone who has experimented
    a pda used like a remote control and can share the experience
    and give me an advice on what to get.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -
    Fingolfin

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same situation as you, but most reports I have been reading seem to think that the IPAQ is the way to go, cheaper, 64mb of memory as opposed to 8mb

does a whole bunch of other tasks as well, and according to those in the know, the lcd simply blows the pronto,s into oblivion

apparently there is a new 3900 range of IPAQ,s out anytime with new bluetooth technology, also remote control software called Nevo, which I know sod all about,

but after all the glowing reports, the Ipaq is the way to go.

3. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From someone who is just beginning to put together their home cinema system and thinking of getting a Pronto type remote control, I have to ask....

What is the REAL benfits in spending £450 and upwards on an IPAQ and ProntoPro over the sub £200 for the standard Pronto.

I know they look better and have larger capacity RAM, but really, what do they really do thats better and justifies anywhere near the price jump?

I am not having a pop, I just dont see whe benfits at the moment....other than the hard to price "cool" factor? :confused:

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same question could apply to buying a Plasma, or a high end DVD Player, but if it was a straight choice between a colour Pronto or Ipaq, its a no brainer as far as I can tell

but as I,m a triple rollover Lottery winner I dont care
    :D :D :D :D

5. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't you take your iPaq everywhere with you, which means no remote at home for the rest of the family. I suppose you could leave out all the old remotes for them but sort of defeats the object

Cliff

6. daren jackson

daren jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the key benefits of the ProntoPro over the Pronto (and Ipaq) is that the Pro will also do RF. This means the ability to control everything without having to put IR repeaters everywhere. It will even work in the garden (where IR dosnt).

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I used TV Remote Controller with my iPaq (38xx I think), but whilt the software is just superb (it even loads existing CCF files perfectly) and the screen is better etc the range was appalling. I couldn't get more than about 4 feet from it so had to abandon the idea.

Also if you look on Remote Central you'll see Dan has done a review of the latest iPaq with the UEI chip and Nevo s/w but one of the major drawbacks is still the range and he states you still have to point it directly at the equipment to be controlled. Sorts of bu**ers up macros a bit :D

So, my iPaq has gone back into the cupboard and I've splashed out on an RC9200. Very nice. At £400 it wasn't quite such a hard decision as spending £800 (which I was not prepared to do).

Unfortunaelt I've not found anywhere that will let you take back a pda once you've set it. Argos exclude them from their 16 day money back guarantee which makes it difficult to try one and see. Mind you, you could always do a hard reset and say it had never been used :eek: bt be careful as whenever I do a hard rest on mine the damned contacts always remain. Complete battery drain seems the only way.

Good luck.

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Messiah has summed it up. Many PDAs offer loads more of every features, the software is also excellent. The achilees heel is the power of the IR transmitter. Remotes generally (inc Prontos) have FAR higher power IR /RF transmitters and therefore are not limited to about 1m. Nice idea, most of us have been there, even tried it but......;)

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair comment from you guys that have done it and know the score

it seems that there is a growing ground swell going the IPAQ route. but thats what makes these forums so good, is getting first hand help & info

guess I will follow the cheaper Pronto route shortly then.
    thanks

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    For a triple rollover lottery winner I wouldn't have thought a ProntoPro or RC9200 would break the bank :D :D

Hey, did you order one of those Sharp Plasmas in the end or were you just kind enough to tell us about them. BTW, I've told my bank manager it is your fault :p

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, did you order one of those Sharp Plasmas in the end or were you just kind enough to tell us about them. BTW, I've told my bank manager it is your fault
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

No I did,nt as I had already ordered a 43"HDE Pioneer, so did not want to cancel it, order the Sharp and then Empire turn round and say

"wrong price sorry"

so what happens I left my order as it was,

the dealer who I ordered the Pioneer from rings me about 5 days after the Sharp offer dissapeared, and tells me

where really sorry about your order, but our factory has been flooded, and at this time we cannot fufill your order, we will re-imburse your money

(which they did 4 days Later)

so basically I seem to be flogging dead horses recently.
    :)

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Messiah

RC9200 for £400? Surely not! Where from???

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUMP! Messiah, you around?

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Yeah, sorry. I forgot to add it was SH. Now, a new one at that price would be abargain but apart froma couple of scratches on the side of the case it is as new. Not programmed it yet, need more time.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neil. Good luck programming it!