• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Help needed with Behringer CX2310 active crossover

chr1

Novice Member
Hi Folks

I am looking for advice on integrating a Behringer CX2310 active crossover into my stereo and HT system. I have done a lot of reading online but am still unsure of a few things. Basically I am looking to use my Tannoy TS2.10 sub for both stereo, with my Topping TP-60 amp and HT with my Denon AVR X-4000.

The current setup is connected like this:

Musiland Monitor 06MX USB DAC, (Digital) coax out -> Denon, L+R pre-amp out -> Topping, input1 (dual-RCA s) -> L + R speakers

Musiland Monitor 06MX USB DAC, (Anologue) dual-RCA line-level outs -> Topping input2 (dual-RCA s)

I will be connecting the CX2310 between the DAC and the Topping with the analogue line-level outs from the DAC. There are two things I am unsure about. Firstly, whether to use the Low Output or the dedicated Sub Out on the Behringer? I believe both options are possible but am unsure which is best. Some of the reviews of the Behringer implied that the dedicated sub out is flawed but I do not understand the comments...

I have pasted these comments below...

"Subwoofer output = gadget because the low pass filter (filter for the sub) takes its signal in the Low section AFTER the crossover filters for each channel."

"...be aware that frquence cutoff low-pass subwoofer output has no effect on the subwoofer output. We do not REALLY cross-over between the outputs and subwoofer output Low as the two play the same thing. In fact the subwoofer output is just the single component output low, which can filter even lower.
By no means a low-cut filter is applied to the outputs according to the Low frquence "Xover" subwoofer. "

"The biggest problem: the low pass filter (filter for the sub) takes its signal in the Low section AFTER the crossover filters for each channel. In other words, when adjusting the crossover of 44Hz and the filter 'sub' to 200 Hz, the signal for the sub is limited to 44Hz (not 200Hz as it should!) I made a change on mine to fix the thing ... To learn how to: [email protected] (remove all "i" in this address the problem of spam!) Or send me a private message stating your e-mail. This is a simple re-routing of the signal, it should not scare those who have used the soldering iron."

"...only negative quality switch cover and frequency of the output sub "mono" can not be greater than that set for the crossover frequency of the other filters ... Input signal of the filter output sub "mono" downstream prices of the other two low-pass filters."

"The sum of the frequencies below these two crossover is filtered again in the central part of the device in a section dedicated "sub"

Anyway, these comments give me the impression that it is better to use the Low Outs. Perhaps somebody could explain this to me?

My second question is whether it is okay to have both the Behringer and AVR connected to the sub simultaneously. The sub has L/LFE and R line-level inputs so I was hoping to have the Low Outs from the Behringer connected to the L/LFE and R inputs with an adapter so that the LFE out from the AVR also connects to the L/LFE input.

Anyway, having seen that there are a few people using the CX2310 I'd be most grateful for any advice...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Can i ask what is your main goal by implementing this device plus is your sub connected to your x4000 via the lfe output.

chr1

Novice Member
Hi and thanks for your reply. My aim in integrating my subwoofer with my stereo amplifier is to help my left and right speakers with the lower frequencys. I have read that this is also useful in that it takes some of the load from the amp due to it only having to deal with the mid to high frequencies (those above the frequency set by the Behringer crossover). I also want to use the sub with my AVR, which is currently connected to the LFE input on the sub. As outlined in my initial post, I believe that this is possible but am slightly unsure of the ideal way of connecting the sub.

Thanks again.

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Does your subwoofer have line level connections that you could connect from sub to both your L/R speakers and or stereo amplifier , So in effect you can connect the same speakers to both systems.

chr1

Novice Member
The sub has L/LFE and R line-level inputs (2) so I was hoping to have the Low Outs (2) from the Behringer connected to the L/LFE and R inputs with an adapter so that the LFE out (1) from the AVR also connects to the L/LFE input. I would be sure that only one input signal was going to the sub at any time.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom