1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with AV Amp ? Reciever Choice! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Suave, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    :lease:
    Hello Everyone!!

I am new to this forum so HI to ALL!! I am looking for the cheapest 7.1 AV amp / Receiver that I can find and one that decodes all of the latest surround sound formats.

Dolby Digital
    Dolby Digital EX
    THX Surround EX
    DTS
    DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
    DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
    DTS Neo: 6
    DTS 96/24
    Dolby Pro Logic
    Dolby Pro Logic IIx

I think that covers the lot! I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-D814 at around £230 that has all of the above but I am not sure if it is 7.1. I think Sony do a reasonably priced 7.1 amp/reciever too. I think the new Marantz ranges do 7.1 but not sure how they are priced (They also offer something called Circle Surround II). I would normally go for a Yamaha or Denon or Harmon Kardon but being unemployed just cannot afford such!

I am not really bothered if it is an AV amp or Reciever. I have a budget of £250 or really, really pushing it, up to £300 but that is the absolute limit. It does not have to be super powerful just reasonable. I have looked on ebay but 7.1 stuff very limited & not that great a deal! I am happy to buy used or ex demo etc if that helps! Anybody reading this - PLEASE HELP! If any one selling please let me know! :lease: :lease: Thank you in advance!

Suave

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    Sony's STRDB 795 is £300 and does all of the above except THX which you aren't going to find under £500- it even has a DAB radio. Given the 790 was also £300 and could be had for £230, It should come in under budget.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Not trying to be mean, but is buying surround sound kit a great idea if you're unemployed?

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I have recently bught a VSX-D814, it's 6.1, there's not much to touch it in that price range, I have mine hooked up with Mordaunt short speakers, 309 sub, 4 x 302's for L&R front and rear, 304 rear centre and a 905 front centre,
    works very well together.

spook

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    :clap: I was just going to post asking about this amp, but did a search on DAB and found yours.
    Do you know if there is a version of it in black?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,303
    I don't know. I never saw a 790 in black but Sony do generally throw out both colours of most of their products.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I’ve just been to a forum sponsor and they did the 790 in black but I cannot find anything anywhere on the net on the 795. :eek:

8. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi All..

Thanks for all your help! And for Eviljohn 2, no, you are not being mean - you made a perfectly good and I believe sincere point about buying SS gear when I am unemployed! It may sound like I sit around doing nothing but I spend all my time just looking for work and filling out apps 7 days a week. I have'nt treated myself to anything for a loooooooooong time and thought its about time as I really want to escape watching movies for my leisure and would like to enjoy them in SS. It was my B'day recently anfd I got some money from my family and have been saving up for quite some time! Trouble is everytime I want something, there is new & better stuff around the corner! I have some sub/sat speakers from before and some satellites so this was my reasoning! I may go for the Sony or Pioneer recommended if I can afford them or if I feel guilty about buying new when I as you rightly say I am unemployed, I will buy used & something out of date or if I let myself feel really guilty - I won't buy anything at all! It is my fault for being unemployed & I guess I have to accept the consequences of that! Tahnks for all your help!

Suave!

9. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Suave you have absolutely no need to explain yourself to anybody on here or feel guilty about buying new.

If it is what you want to do and can afford it then do it and sod anyone who thinks you shouldn't.

Adrenochrome.

10. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Certainly no need to explain yourself, I was unemployed for a while last year through no fault of my own and although I couldn't afford hifi at the time, it would certainly have cheered me up which I was definitely in need of!

I've got a very good Sony mini-system and that receiver looks excellent value :)

12. Andy_t

Andy_t
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats always the bloody case - with most things unfortunately! :rolleyes:

13. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    To right m8. I have been unemployed for the last 3 months and although it wa nice to have the time to myself, it can become a drag. I wish you all the best in getting employment :hiya:

Heres some prices and ideas for you. Also remeber just because its the newest doesnt mean its always the best. Last years top of the range amps second hand will still kick some serious butt! :lesson:
    Pioneer
    http://www.buyyourav.com/1024x768/spec_details.asp?prodID=1214
    Denon
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1606
    Sony
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1434
    Yamaha
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1927
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1926

www.hispek.com are offering the rxv450 with free 6.1 satalite system for £298 + p&p. You could always sell it to make some money back :D

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,349
    I was reading in Octobers What Hi-Fi the specs they gave last month on the 795 were wrong and it does not include a DAB Radio. :(