Help Needed with Audiolab M-DAC Plus

Davy

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone with this DAC answer this for me. I have this DAC connected to my amplifier and stream Apple music from an iPad. Music quality is set at ‘Hi-Res Lossless’ on the iPad settings. The iPad is connected to the DAC using a lightning to USB A lead into the dedicated Apple input on the DAC (this is the one specifically for Apple iPads/phones).

However, whatever music I play through the DAC it only displays PCM 44.1kHz, although the Apple Music says it is being output at for example 24/96 or even higher.

I’ve tried emailing Audiolab but my emails just get bounced back and the retailer didn’t have an answer.

If I connect my laptop using the other connection (USB type B) the DAC display shows the maximum that I have set the laptop output to, say 192 kHz. Oddly it doesn’t show the actual streaming level coming into the DAC from the computer. The iPad cannot be connected to this input on the DAC as a warning message pops up on the iPad saying the device (DAC) uses too much power.

Bottom line is, whilst everything sounds nice, I have no idea what ‘level’ of music I am listening to.

As far as I know, you need to get the camera adapter for the iPad so it can be fed power as well.

Then use a lightning to USB Bcable into the Audiolab.

Upvote 0
Thanks both but I am getting digital out of the iPad its just not showing the higher resolution that the iPad says its outputting at and whatever the Apple Music source is it only shows up as PCM 44.1 kHz on the DAC screen.

Do you think it may be a limitation of the lightning to USB lead?

I was under the impression that the camera adapter was just a means of converting lightning to a female USB to allow a DAC like the Dragonfly to be plugged in. The Audiolab actually charges the iPad using this dedicated output, so I guess power to the iPad isn’t a problem.

Upvote 0
Something that says ‘made for iPhone/ipad’ Or something similar is usually restricted to 44.1 and will chop down anything higher than that.

I’ve got one of these.

When I had my Meridian Director it also claimed a lack of power either way to my iPhone, but the above solved it and all was well.

I’m pretty sure you’ll have to use the USB B input with the Audiolab to get better than 44.1 though.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Upvote 0
Thanks Paul, the Audiolab does say made for iphone/iPad so that may well be it and it’s restricted to 44.1. The other USB B input does deliver the higher resolution so I”ll try and get one of the adapters you’ve shown and see how that goes. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Well I purchased the adaptor that Paul recommended, connected the iPad to the DAC using the USB B input but got the same warning message on the iPad ☹️Cannot Use Accessory. AUDIOLAB USB 2.0. This accessory requires too much power”.
This is the same as before and shows up whether the charging side of the new adaptor is plugged into a USB wall socket or Apples socket adaptor.
So it seems, that you cannot use this DAC to get hi-res music from an iPad/iPhone.

Upvote 0
My apologies Davy. I was pretty sure it would work as it did for my Meridian.

I’m also puzzled because a MacBook/laptop usb output is only one volt, so hardly a huge dollop.

My only other thought is did you have the iPads volume at full output?

Also, do you have a high current charger, one greater than 1A, usually either 2 or 2.2 amps?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe with this DAC but not generally true. Definitely not true with a Mojo.
Since this isn't a hill I want to die on, I remember reading on Apple's website/forum that iPads with USB-C are the only sure way of getting hires lossless out of out of iOS device. That said (having googled it now) it seems that with lightning it's more of a hit or miss than "definitely not". Hence I stand corrected, to a degree.

Upvote 0
I remember reading this exact problem on the Audiolab group on Facebook a while ago....
Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 10.41.11.png

@Davy, buy a genuine adapter it should work.

Upvote 0
Hi All, well I’ve finally cracked it. Well actually you’ve all cracked it for me and its using an iPad Pro with USB-C.
To sum up; my DAC is an Audiolab M-DAC Plus, originally being fed from an iPad Air 2 using a lightning to USB-A lead direct into the dedicated Apple input on the DAC. This only gave me 44.1kHz showing at the DAC.
Adding an Apple adapter so the iPad could receive power as well, made no difference. (No worries Paul it was worth a try).
Connecting the iPad to the USB-B input on the DAC brought up a “Cannot Use Accessory” error on the iPad, saying that the Audiolab USB requires too much power.
However, changing to my iPad Pro and using a USB-C to USB-A adapter then a USB-A to USB-B lead (gosh it all gets confusing doesn’t it) into the USB-B input on the DAC. (Thanks FLKehT to tell me about the iPad Pro and Paul for telling me to use the B input on the DAC) all works as it should and the DAC now displays that it is getting the hi-res up to 192kHz that the Apple Music is outputting.
It does seem that it is hit and miss as to whether or not certain iPads/DAc’s work but thats life isn’t it.
A big thanks though to all who contributed to this thread.

Upvote 0
Pad Air 2 using a lightning to USB-A lead direct into the dedicated Apple input on the DAC. This only gave me 44.1kHz showing at the DAC.
Adding an Apple adapter so the iPad could receive power as well, made no difference. (No worries Paul it was worth a try).

Satisfy my curiosity please, is the camera kit adapter genuine Apple or not?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Satisfy my curiosity please, is the camera kit adapter genuine Apple or not?
Hi TB Rich, yes it is but because of the length of the USB lead required, this is not a genuine Apple lead, which may have had some bearing on it not working.

I’m not a Facebook but I wonder if the guy you quoted who said the genuine Apple adapter worked was connecting into the USB-A (dedicated Apple input on the DAC) or the USB-B Computer input.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi TB Rich, yes it is but because of the length of the USB lead required, this is not a genuine Apple lead, which may have had some bearing on it not working.

I’m not a Facebook but I wonder if the guy you quoted who said the genuine Apple adapter worked was connecting into the USB-A (dedicated Apple input on the DAC) or the USB-B Computer input.
Thanks, and yeah no idea I'm afraid - I just knew I'd seen the issue and it was down to the adapter.
When I was researching to buy an adapter myself ages ago, it seemed the genuine ones were far more reliable and 3rd party ones were hit and miss (and that was for basic hooking up to a PC/Mac let alone trying to use for audio!).

Upvote 0
Can anyone with this DAC answer this for me. I have this DAC connected to my amplifier and stream Apple music from an iPad. Music quality is set at ‘Hi-Res Lossless’ on the iPad settings. The iPad is connected to the DAC using a lightning to USB A lead into the dedicated Apple input on the DAC (this is the one specifically for Apple iPads/phones).

However, whatever music I play through the DAC it only displays PCM 44.1kHz, although the Apple Music says it is being output at for example 24/96 or even higher.

I’ve tried emailing Audiolab but my emails just get bounced back and the retailer didn’t have an answer.

If I connect my laptop using the other connection (USB type B) the DAC display shows the maximum that I have set the laptop output to, say 192 kHz. Oddly it doesn’t show the actual streaming level coming into the DAC from the computer. The iPad cannot be connected to this input on the DAC as a warning message pops up on the iPad saying the device (DAC) uses too much power.

Bottom line is, whilst everything sounds nice, I have no idea what ‘level’ of music I am listening to.
Go into Audio MIDI Setup change settings in Format

Upvote 0
I just Googled this problem and have ended here at this thread, so I have joined the forum.

I have just acquired an Audiolab MDAC+ and was having the same issue as the OP.

iPhone into the USB A port would only give the 44.1kHz input.

Using the USB B port with a USB B to Lightning cable gave the same “cannot use accessory” error on my iPhone 14 Pro.

I have just received a USB B to USB C cable from Amazon and hooked up my iPad Pro to the Audiolab and I can now get 192kHz.

This does not work if you have the Apple keyboard/stand and use the supplementary USB C port on the accessory. Only works with USB C port on the iPad itself.

I have an Apple Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter arriving tomorrow. I will connect this to the MDAC+ with a USB B to USB A cable and see if I can get the same result with iPhone.

Upvote 0
The genuine Apple adaptor has arrived.

Connected up to the MDAC+ with the USB B to USB A cable. No error message, but also no connection at all.

I also tried having power going into the adaptors Lightning slot. No difference.

Bit of a bugger that my old Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 would play with an iPhone and I could get hi-res into that DAC.

Upvote 0
OK, soo I have been in touch with Audiolab and they have stated there is a known issue caused by the iOS16 update giving problems with Apples own adapters when used with iPhone. Paricularly the new iPhone 14/ 14 pro

So I guess we will have to wait

Upvote 0
Hi All, well I’ve finally cracked it. Well actually you’ve all cracked it for me and its using an iPad Pro with USB-C.
To sum up; my DAC is an Audiolab M-DAC Plus, originally being fed from an iPad Air 2 using a lightning to USB-A lead direct into the dedicated Apple input on the DAC. This only gave me 44.1kHz showing at the DAC.
Connecting the iPad to the USB-B input on the DAC brought up a “Cannot Use Accessory” error on the iPad, saying that the Audiolab USB requires too much power.
However, changing to my iPad Pro and using a USB-C to USB-A adapter then a USB-A to USB-B lead (gosh it all gets confusing doesn’t it) into the USB-B input on the DAC. (Thanks FLKehT to tell me about the iPad Pro and Paul for telling me to use the B input on the DAC) all works as it should and the DAC now displays that it is getting the hi-res up to 192kHz that the Apple Music is outputting.
It does seem that it is hit and miss as to whether or not certain iPads/DAc’s work but thats life isn’t it.
A big thanks though to all who contributed to this thread.
How about the sound? Can you hear a big difference?

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom