Help needed with audio output

martyn3000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running my audio and video through HDMI into my AV receiver, which has always served me well.

I have recently upgraded to a 4K TV, and was hoping to do some 4K gaming (old/indie games) but my AV receiver does not take a 4k 60hz signal. It can take 4k 30hz, but who wants to game at 30fps!? Note, it will passthrough 4k 60hz when it is in standby, this obviously means I loose my audio though.

My question is can I use my GPU (ASUS GTX 780) to pass video to my TV via HDMI, and then use the HDMI or TOSLINK/optical output on my motherboard to send audio to my AV receiver?

Well I use HDMI from GPU to my monitor and optical out from mobo into a sub + speakers combo which works perfectly so I can't see why yours wouldn't.

The only doubt I have is your motherboards HDMI being able to send audio only but someone may be able to correct me, I've never attempted to do it.

Yes, but it will mean a bit of messing about in your playback devices but perfectly doable
Is that via HDMI or optical?

Only I'd prefer HDMI, as I don't think optical can take HD audio formats (Dolby HD, DTS HD)

Last edited:
Is that via HDMI or optical?

Only I'd prefer HDMI, as I don't think optical can take HD audio formats (Dolby HD, DTS HD)

Through HDMI, your operating system should pickup you have an amp connected and offer it as an option for sound output. Just make sure you have all onboard drivers and devices installed, (check device manager).

I have 3 (now 4) screens and 1 amp hooked up to my pc. I was having problems with sound pass through using a DP to HDMI adapter and worked out to switch the amp on first before the PC to ensure that the default doesn't keep switching which can be irritating if you forget.

Are you using a separate graphics card?

Will give it a go, thanks.

Yes, using a GTX 780 graphics card. That's what I'll use to output the video to my TV, and was going to use the HDMI on my motherboard for sound. I don't have another HDMI on my GPU, only DVI and Displayport.

Through HDMI, your operating system should pickup you have an amp connected and offer it as an option for sound output. Just make sure you have all onboard drivers and devices installed, (check device manager).

I have 3 (now 4) screens and 1 amp hooked up to my pc. I was having problems with sound pass through using a DP to HDMI adapter and worked out to switch the amp on first before the PC to ensure that the default doesn't keep switching which can be irritating if you forget.

Are you using a separate graphics card?

I've tried a number of methods now with no success...

Tried HDMI from motherboard to amp - not even detected. I've read reports that motherboard HDMI is disabled when a graphics card is installed.

Tried a DVI to HDMI converter plugged into one of the GPU DVI sockets and into the amp. The only way to get sound this way is if I enable a second display. Not something I have the GPU power to do when I'm outputting 4K to my TV already. Annoying there doesn't seem to be away to enable the sound without the second display.

The only method I have left to try is the TOSLINK/Optical port on my motherboard. This was my last resort as it means I can't listen to HD audio on my Blu-Ray rips.

I feel your pain, you will get there, I recall having to go to my mobo manufacturers support pages download all chipset and audio drivers then found sound worked through my HDMI even though there were no issues in device manager. I still had issues with it being reliably recognised and moved over to another connection method in the end, let us know how you get on

It might help if you spell out what TV, monitor, amp, mobo and what cable connections you want to hook them all up with

TV is a Panasonic TX-50CX680B, amp is a Sony STR-DN840, looking to hook them all up with HDMI. I'll see if the drivers are up to date and report back.

@s73

It's a ASUS GTX 780. It has 1 x HDMI, 2 x DVI, and 1 x Display Port.

Its not an amazing card, but was hoping to run some older games. Or at least run the desktop at native res

I'm far from an expert but does HDMI support 4k at 60hz? My best suggestion would be to connect the TV via DP and use the HDMI on the graphics card to connect to the amp for the sound? I'm guessing you've tried that, and recall my problems disappeared when I stopped trying to get onboard sound out of the mobos HDMI port. I did manage it but can't recall exactly how, other than what I've said already. I'm having flashback of poxy Realtek drivers and choosing some kind of largish square silicon designed logo in these drivers GUI.

It should do yes. A driver update for the 780 enabled 4k 60hz over HDMI. Works with my TV, just not through my amp. More fiddling is needed. Thanks for advice.

Without looking I believe its as ASRock Z68 Extreme4

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom