1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with amp upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Noel, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I wonder if anyone can help, I'm at a bit of a loss. My system comprises:

Pioneer DV717
    Sony Str-DB 830 amp
    Sony 41" Rear proj TV
    Infocus LCD projector
    Linn Keosa Fronts
    Linn Centrik Centre
    Linn Kan rears
    Linn Sizmik Subwoofer
    Panasonic Sky Digibox
    Mitsubishi Nicam VCR

Spot the weak link? I need to upgrade my amp. I've narrowed the options down a little, with a budget of £1500 (ish). Not that bothered about 6/7 channel for now:

Denon 3801 (good enough?)
    Yamaha AX1 (Seems well-priced)
    Rotel RMB1075 power amp (use Sony as processor for now, save up for pre-amp)
    Linn AV5125 five channel power amp (save up for 5103 processor).

I'm more inclined to go down the seperates route, but is an 830/1075 or 5125 going to be better than, for example an AX1? Is there much between the 1075 and the 5125 given the £1000 gap in asking price?

Hope this makes sense, any other suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Noel

2. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Would it help if I said please? :D

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh all right then...

Go for the separates every time. Whether the Linn is better than the Rotel is up to you and your personal taste/budget constraints and perception of VFM.

I've said it before elsewhere on the board - you get much better value from second-hand kit. Amplifier technology hasn't changed much over the last few years so sound quality and build quality shouldn't be too much of an issue. Get yourself 3 2ch hi-fi power amps and you'll have better channel separation and possibly better power supply stability (plus a stack of power amps looks cool too).

Seeing as you're a Linn fan you'll be pleased to know that Linn are doing a special offer at the moment which gives you an AV5125 free with every AV5103 purchased. Start saving!

4. JDC

JDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the R 1075 & it is a seriously impressive piece of kit. Masses of headroom & not as soft as some other Rotel amps. (Re. the 1095, slightly more flexible but can't quite see the need for 200W+ into surrounds). I bought it used through HCCO classifieds - thanks Russ! - so if you could find similar, you'have some change for other goodies. Naim are ademittedly a step upo from the Rotel, but you pays yer money, etc.

5. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the responses. I think "separates" was what I wanted to hear.... I must admit, I hadn't thought about multiple 2 channel amps......would this be a better solution than a decent 5 channel amp, say the Rotel?

I'm not necessarily a Linn fan, I just occasionally get the opportunity to pick their kit up at decent prices.....they are good, though!

Also, any comments on the 830 as a preamp?

Thanks again,

Noel :)

6. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Wow can't believe that you have such a huge disparity in your quality of speakers and Amp.
    But can i say that you use your setip to watch movies and rarely use it for listening to music? Just like me.

If this is the case and you have 1500 GBP to spend. You can go the sperates route buying the HiEnd Amps. But remember that you're paying a premium for an amp that's good for music and movies.
    I suggest you rather buy a specific home cinema Amp. A flagship model with all bells and whistles on it.
    The 3801 is a great Amp. But it's not the flagship model. I still think it's a solid buy and very good value though.
    But if 1500GBP is your budget...checkout the Onkyo 989, Yamaha AX1 and the Denon AVC10.
    Maybe they are not as musical as the rotels etc...but in home cinema mode they are comparable or arguably even better than the rotel.
    If Rotel is your brand..checkout the new 972 model. It's an receiver with 5 powered channels build in.

BTW With 1500 GBP there's another possibility. If the 3801 is satisfactory for you you will have nearly 1000GBP over in your budget. Well wait a while and use it to buy a DVD recorder!!. The one from philips is also a DVD Audio player.

HAve fun choosing. And tell me what your choice is.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd go with the 5103/5125 option since it is offer at the momment. £4500 for the pair.

It's well worth it, and you can add an extra 5125 later and go active.

8. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonically, yes. The 5 channel amps share a common power supply, heavy loads on one channel can have an effect on the remaining channels. The single most important part of an amplifier is a good quality power supply as any Naim owner will tell you. Using separate stereo or better still, monoblocs will give you better detail, separation and attack. If your main use is for cinema split your budget so the bulk is spent on the L/C/R channels, go for good quality monoblocs and then get a stereo amp for the rears. I use 7 monoblocs in my system you're more than welcome to have a demo to see if they're suitable for you.

9. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Onkyo 757 and just complemented it with a 3 x 200 watts Rotel RB993 for the front and center channels, great price, it has been discontinued (anyone nows why?), but it is THX certified and frequency response up to 100 khz.
    I quite enjoyed the Onkyo, but the sound improved so much I couldn´t believe, particularly the resolution of complex situations, even clapping, now I can listen to each person instead of just a blur... and drums are much sharper too...
    I dont know if any receiver would be this good...

10. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the replies everyone. As ever, it seems like it's time to give the old ears a workout and let them do the deciding.....

Cheers,

Noel