Help Needed with a set up please..

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by stevelufc, Jan 13, 2008.

1. stevelufc

stevelufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all..

My set up is currently:-

Sharp 46" 1080p Television
    Sky plus
    Playstation 3

I have everything connected and workin, probably not to full effect but I now want to introduce my LG RH177 HDD DVD Recorder into the mix, could someone please advise me on the optimum connections for this set up.

Also are there any books I could read to help me grasp a better understanding of AV solutions.

many thanks..

Steve

2. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You will need to put the DVD Recorder between the Sky+ box and the TV. Use a scart to go from TV out of the Sky+ to the input of the DVD Recorder and then the TV output of the DVD Recorder to AV1 of the TV. Ensure that the Sky+ box is set to RGB output, as is the DVD Recorder. Also ensure that the AV1 input is set to receive RGB input, which is should be already and may not even be a parameter you can change.

Hope this helps!

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Thats certainly the way I'd do it. BUT it depends what you are going to be using the DVDR for. I mainly use mine for backing up stuff off the Sky+ I want to keep. If you want to use your recorder for recording terrestrial or freeview then this could be a problem. Say you are watching a channel on Sky+ and recording another this setup wont allow you to then use the DVD to record something else.

If you want to do that you'll need a buffer/splitter of some sort so you can watch Sky+ without going throught the DVD or alternatively if you accept its a rare thing use the Sky+ VCR scart to to connect to your TV as well in the above setup. (i.e connect as above but have another scart to the 2nd scart input on your TV) If using the DVD to record terrestrial watch sky via the other scart (only composite though) and use the RGB scart for normal watching and DVD

I suspect I've way overcomplicated things though sorry.

4. stevelufc

stevelufc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mitsi and Jimbob, just really want to back up from sky+ at the moment so much appreciate you advice.

just as a matter of interest is there any work around to back up a box office movie with the dvd recorder or is this not possible?