help needed with 360 and 1080p lcd

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ldelebyjr, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ldelebyjr

ldelebyjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some suggestions. Just purchased an LG 47" 1080p LCD. After playing a couple games I have noticed that the picture quality is horrible (not sharp at all - letters look fuzzy as well as the outline of players, diagonals are not smooth). I set the 360 to 1080p, 720p. No improvement. When it was hooked up to my 37" 720p LCD the picture was great! The 360 is currently hooked up using the component cable that came with the system. There is an option to run HDMI (already ordered).
    Any suggestions on how to improve the picture quality would be greatly appreciated!

2. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934
    HDMI should give a sharper image. Although my LG was fine with component different models vary.

The only option is to fiddle with all the settings, and turning DOWN sharpness in the TVs menu.

And I hope you didn't spend much on your HDMI cable, and please don't say you bought a Monster Cable. £5 is more than enough for an HDMI cable.

3. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,500
    Matt is spot on. Sharpness settings would be the first thing I would check. Best to turn off all your TVs processing ( Sharpness, backlight, MPEG noise reduction etc ) and then slowly start bringing up levels depending on your likes etc.

4. DeanTheDon

DeanTheDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Also check that the switch on the component cable is set to 'HDTV'...

5. ldelebyjr

ldelebyjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions. The switch is set to HDTV and I tried some of the other suggestions but no change. I did some checking and it seems the games I play (COD4, NHL09...) have native 720p resolution-as far as I can tell. So the xbox is upscaling this resolution to 1080p (which is degrading the picture) where as my 720p lcd was perfect. I hope the HDMI cable improves the quality of the upscaling from the xbox to the TV. Thanks again for the suggestions.

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,500
    99% of games are 720p and then upscaled to 1080p (or whatever you set the output to).

7. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    The 360 scaler isn't brilliant, but it wouldn't be causing the issues you have. I've had no issues with 1080p component or HDMI. HDMI is barely noticeably sharper.

8. JediGarry

JediGarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Your first mistake was getting an LG LCD. Sorry to start on a negative but "dems the brakes". Two of my mates have LG LCD's and my in-laws have one and they all perform terrible for gaming. The picture is over saturated, blocky, fuzzy etc. I had a go at altering the settings but could only get it a little better.

HDMI will give you a slightly better picture in terms of sharpness and general colour over component but it won't be a "WOW, OMG, isn't the picture now stunning!?" moment. It's your TV that's the issue.

Also what's your viewing distance? On a 47" you should be at least 7/8 feet away.

Other comments are true. Try turning off all the TV's processing, turn the sharpness all the way down then increase them to the point where it improves the picture but doesn't create artifacts. Also I would leave the 360's output to 720p. The least chance of image tearing etc the better. As most games are 720p native anyway, it makes sense. Even some games that claim to be 1080p are scaled from a lower resolution (Halo3) so its a big grey area.

In a nutshelll you'll always struggle to get a decent image out of an LG panel. If you read the majority of reviews on most sites, its generally an OK set but not a recommended buy.

9. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    You could try properly calibrating the TV's colour settings correctly if you've not already done so - If you have any of the Star Wars or Pixar DVD's lying around then they usually have a THX optimiser you can make use of - it's not perfect but will put in the right area.

Leave the 360 at it's native 720p resolution also - there are only 3 (IIRC) games on the 360 that are native 1080p anyway...

Depending on how close you sit to the TV, 47" will make a huge difference, I use a 40" Sony Bravia and some games make me think that's too big for gaming, GTA4 being one of them, Some games will have better, crisper visuals than others.

10. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    I think the statements about LG TVs is misguided. Although my main set is a Sony I have an LG, and historically LG always have had fantastic pictures. However, there were a few sets released last year that let the side down. Anything from the new LHx000 ranges have very good pictures.

If you or your friends have bad LGs you may have got the less than stunning sets that came out around 12months ago, although they were never awful, they weren't upto the normal high standard of LG.

If you want to see a bad picture there are some dire Hitachi or a few of the Samsungs (with the proprietary Component connector) aren't up to the normal standard. I've also been unimpressed by the Philips sets. But even some of the poor LCD sets out there can be made respectible with a good calibration.

11. JediGarry

JediGarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Its just common knowledge that the recent batch of LG's (especially last years) were not up to scratch and so never got any recommended buys. Yes you can get a half decent picture with a good calibration but I'm referring to gaming performance. I have no doubt if you plug a blu ray player into the LG and with a good calibration it will look quite good but for some reason they just can't handle gaming either via hdmi or component very well at all.

There was a time when LG made some great panels but I'm afraid it would be wrong to recommend them to anyone looking to get a TV right now.

12. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    If you set the 360's output to 720p then will it still upscale dvds fully?

Also, this is kind of related - my telly has a native resolution of 1680x1050, so what setting should i use for games?

cheers, Dave

13. JediGarry

JediGarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    When you say fully do you mean to 1080p or 720p? To upscale to full 1080p you would need to set the 360 to that mode or resolution. Also bear in mind that you can only do this with the VGA or HDMI cables. Component cables are restricted. If you output 720p then the 360 will scale a dvd to this output.

With regards to the resolution, if you use the VGA cable you can match it on the 360 as it lists its output resolutions similar to monitors. If your using any other cable then you should try and match the TV's native res, in this case you would set it to 720p. You would get a better picture if the TV has to scale the image within its native res (720 obviously falls within 1050).

14. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Not accurate at all. There are some bad eggs out there regardless of who makes em but there are some cracking sets out there too even from LG. I have had no issues at all with my LG neither have two other friends who play, gaming is perfect.

Incidentally someone mentioned calibrating the TV. Excellent idea seeing as it really is the way to go to get a good picture rather than 'out the box'

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  15. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    That makes sense, thanks for the help.

16. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Have you gone from a 720p LCD to a 1080p LCD by any chance? When i first got my Sony 1080p LCD i was lucky enough to be able to run it along side a 720p Panny LCD. It was obvious to anyone that saw the comparison that the 720p set displayed a much better image with 360 games simply because they are rendered natively at, or below 720p so no scaling is involved. Its the same when you see an SD image on a HDTV, it looks poor compared to when its shown on a SDTV.

17. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +525
    Or you can set the 360 to 720p, reducing the stress on the console and allowing your TV to do the scaling because the 360s scaler is crap :thumbsup:

18. n j radz

n j radz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I myself recently purchased a tv...... an was looking at the lg's...... but was warned away from them by the sales assistant when i said i would be gaming on it.......

Settled for a 52" samsung plasma........ OMFG!!!!! its good!

As i was reading down i noticed some one said to leave the 360 output at 720p as most games come in this format? i have mine set to 1080p to match my tv.... would it benefit me to change my settings......?

19. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    Plasmas blow for gaming. Theyre more likely to bust too. Much better for Movies though, LCD is the way to go for gaming or OLED if you can afford them at the current price.

20. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    set it to 1080p, enjoy the games, forget everything else..:smashin:

21. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    *cough*...tripe!...*cough*..:rotfl:
    decent plasmas traditionally have better motion handling than lcd's, and still do, compared to the latest lcds.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  22. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

Still bobbins for gaming though.

23. n j radz

n j radz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont see how you can say their still bobbins for gaming.....? i have no problems....... i have a 32" samsung lcd upstairs which i have tried with the xbox an the plasma wins hands down for gaming.

I really dont see how you can be so negative about the half decent equipment i am running when you were running an acer lcd......????????????? an opted to buy an LG.....? complete garbage.!

24. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    must say, i have to agree with that..

25. Haizum74

Haizum74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

Oh..... I didnt realise we are having a bitch session about other folks equipment. Can you explain which part of my comment said that your half decent equipment was crap????? I think you might find none of it did so please wind ya neck in. All I said was that plasmas were bobbins for gaming. I had two that were sent back due to screen burn. Apologies for having a ****ing opinion :mad::thumbsdow:suicide:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009