1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with 3 ipod questions - clever clogs needed!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by boo boo, Apr 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. boo boo

boo boo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After facing my technaphobe fears I've bought an ipod.

Its brill and surprisingly easy for me to get my head around. Its a 4th generation 20MB one if that makes any difference to anything.

I have 3 things though that I can't find any help for - I've searched here too - I feel v.out of my depth on this forum so don't even know if I'm searching under the correct keywords!

I've tried to get answers to these 3 Q's in the help section of itunes as well, but no joy. I hope users of ipods can help...

1) I've created several different playlists. Can I shuffle songs within the playlists when i listen to them on my ipod or do they only play in the order they were downloaded?

2) When I add songs to the main libary - is there a way i can see at a glance if I've already added them to a playlist without checking each playlist in turn to see if the song is there as well as being in the main libary?

3) I downloaded the itunes CD onto my laptop and have been importing songs from CDs. I do not have internet access at home, so I've also downloaded the itunes CD onto my PC at work so song titles are automatically added when I import from CDs. I am not downloading anything from my work PC onto my ipod (only doing that with songs on my laptop). In the future will i be able to 'copy' my work PC itunes onto a disc and add it to my laptop itunes, so the 2 will merge and I'll have all my songs together?

Hope someone can advise me!

Thanks in advance.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    On my 3rd Gen iPod I think the playlists play in the same order every time, I've not found a way of shuffling this at all.
    If you right click on a song in the main library there's a menu option called "playlists" which will list all the playlists that this track is in. If it is not in any playlists, that menu option does not appear.
    When I'm importing stuff to iTunes from other areas I tend to import by using the File/Add file to library or the File/Add folder to library options. When they are then imported I then consolidate the library so that it copies all the tracks into the main iTunes folder. I've never tried just copying it straight over into the iTunes Music folder.

3. boo boo

boo boo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah - right so that answers the issue about shuffling and finding if songs are in playlists - thanks for this.

I think I get what you mean about adding songs to your main itunes libary.

So do you think that if I saved the 2nd itunes onto a disc the data could somehow be included in the 1st itunes?

Thanks so much for your help.

4. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +867
    1) I know you can definately shuffle songs in playlists. I don't have any playlists myself but try main menu>settings>shuffle>songs, now just select your playlist as normal and your songs should be shuffling, at least I assume that would happen.

2) I don't know anyway of doing this - does the recently added playlist not give you such info?

3) Again I don't know anyway of doing this. I need some help with something like this myself, I have my pod on manual and can't even work out how to get my library from my ipod back into the standard itunes library!.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    If you told your 1st iTunes to import from a cd (where you have copied to from the 2nd iTunes) you should then be able to tell it to consolidate as well. The consolidate option copies all music in the library to the iTunes folder.

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    1) You can shuffle songs on a 4G at any point whether it be playing an album, playlist all songs etc. As Cloysterpeteuk says it is in the main menu>extras>shuffle>songs/albums/off. If you set it to one of these at any point of listening then it will shuffle.

2) I have the same frustration especially as the library gets larger. I normally use the very useful search bar at the top of Itunes. If you have added a file to your library and want to check if you have moved it to the relavent playlist then search in the playlist. It's fairly intuative so searching is not hard.

3) Sounds like you are duplicating a library on your work pc. If so would it be easier to clear all your laptop itunes data completely and load your disk onto the laptop and start again.

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Just a suggestion, but if you use smart playlists with just the right criteria, and enable live updating, then new music should automatically get added to your playlists.

So if you've got a smart playlist that has, for example, everything with a genre of "rock", when you import a new rock CD it will immediately appear in your smart playlist.

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    Good thinking that mate, I use smart playlists and to be honest I'd forgotten that I use them !