Help needed with 12v Trigger!

Freon

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm ordering an electric screen and want the screen to come down automatically when the PJ fires up. I want to do this using a 12v trigger as a remote option is just too expensive.
Has anyone successfully done this and if so would they be able to provide someone like me with step by step instructions on how?

All help appreciated :lease:

Hi Freon. Have you done a search on this ? I remember in the past there being a few topics covering this question, although it was not something I myself payed a great deal of attention to.

Good luck

loftfuton said:
Hi Freon. Have you done a search on this ? I remember in the past there being a few topics covering this question, although it was not something I myself payed a great deal of attention to.

Good luck

Yeah I have but nothing seems particularly clear to me.
What i would really like is a Relay that plugs into the mains and then the screen plugs into the relay but can't find anything of this nature only the DIY stuff.

I can do the DIY stuff i just need someone to point me in the right direction who has previous experience of doing this.

Cheers

Owl Video Systems used to do a little box with some solid state electronics that will raise and lower a 240v screen from a 12v trigger. Not sure of the cost, (think it was about £50 trade) they're at www.owl-video.co.uk - don't know if they'll supply direct to the public.

Hi ,

if your screen uses a SOMFY motor thers is a Low Voltage Interface unit for them at £ 90.00 ex vat

Hope this helps :D

I have exactly the same question... I have a slimline240 coming tomorrow and want my Screenplay 4805 to lower the screen... Should be a month away... room being plastered and conduit is going in for all the cables...

Can't wait for GT4 in wide screen ;-)

The owl site says 12v operation for the above screens...

I have the Owl 12v trigger box hooked up to a Sony HS50 and Vutec Lectric screen... but it doesn't work correctly!! :( I have had a replacement circuit board sent out by Owl but still the same problem. The HS50 provides a perfect 12v (actually 12.2v) therefore there must be some sort of voltage drop across the circuit board or some other problem. Basically if I switch the pj on the screen starts to drop very very slowly and with a loud noise (the screen works perfect with the manual switch and uses a somfy motor which is quiet and quick when working correctly). When the screen gets to the bottom instead of stopping it kangaroos up and down slightly until I switch off the power. Strangely the screen goes up fine i.e. correct speed etc when I power down the pj so it is only the down trigger that isn't working correctly. I don't know what else to try... any suggestions? Has anyone managed to get a 12v trigger operation working with an HS50 or Vutec Lectric screen? It would be a great bit of kit when working correctly :confused:

Neelix said:
I have the Owl 12v trigger box hooked up to a Sony HS50 and Vutec Lectric screen... but it doesn't work correctly!! :( I have had a replacement circuit board sent out by Owl but still the same problem. The HS50 provides a perfect 12v (actually 12.2v) therefore there must be some sort of voltage drop across the circuit board or some other problem. Basically if I switch the pj on the screen starts to drop very very slowly and with a loud noise (the screen works perfect with the manual switch and uses a somfy motor which is quiet and quick when working correctly). When the screen gets to the bottom instead of stopping it kangaroos up and down slightly until I switch off the power. Strangely the screen goes up fine i.e. correct speed etc when I power down the pj so it is only the down trigger that isn't working correctly. I don't know what else to try... any suggestions? Has anyone managed to get a 12v trigger operation working with an HS50 or Vutec Lectric screen? It would be a great bit of kit when working correctly :confused:

Neelx. did you ever fix this because I now have the exact same problem !!!

Thanks, DB.

Sony VPL-HS50 is a problem not because of the voltage, but because of the current of approx. 2.5mA, while most of the relays take a min current of 80-100mA.

Since none of the retail solutions are available at reasonable pricing and delivery time here in Croatia, I am looking for a DIY solution.

It consists of three parts: 12V DC source (transformer), current amplifier (approx. 100x) and a set of relays.

If anyone has a quick fix for the relay part, please let me know!

Not sure if they deliver abroad, (probably will at cost), but I had the same mA problem with an AE700. This little board sorted it out like a dream. Screen drops as PJ is fired up. Trés bon. :thumbsup:

http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/3156.htm

Cheers and good luck,

Dickster

how about the remote control 240 volt sockets from maplins. You get 4 sockets and 1 remote that can control all 4 sockets independantly. I got a set for 24.99 and use them to control various items around the house.

I have a HS-50, 9' owl screen and owl trigger, got it rigged up last night and mine is bouncing when it hits the bottom too, owl are closed at weekends, anyone get it sorted or have you have you had to scrap the trigger altogether?

Looks like Dickster & scooby do have the best solutions.

I managed to get a replacement board from Owl because the old one was totally duff, but this time I used the trigger off my Rotel Amp instead. This worked fine & now the screen retracts as soon as you turn off the amp instead of waiting the PJ to finish cooling itself down....

Good luck, DB.

How good are you with a soldering iron?

I made a little unit using a mains adaptor case. It has a jack socket on for the 12v input and terminals inside for connecting the four mains wires for the screen. The one I made actually switched off some lights too as the screen was activated. It cost me about £15 in parts and took about 30 minutes to make. It has worked without problem for over 5 years now.

It has been used to control a 7 foot Owl electric and now an 8 foot Owl Othello. To use it your screen must normally be controlled by a three position rocker switch and automatically stop when fully down or fully up without having to return the switch to off.

If you want to give it a go then I can post a parts list, instructions and photographs. All parts were purchased from Maplin.

I must point out though that you will be messing around with mains electricity.

Moderators...
Could you indicate if such a posting will be allowed please.

fortean, can you post the list of parts needed to make the relay, and a step by step guide, also what cable did you use for the 12v connection.

cheers
Deeks

deeks136 said:
fortean, can you post the list of parts needed to make the relay, and a step by step guide, also what cable did you use for the 12v connection.

I don't think it will be suitable for you.

I assume from what you said that you have a 12v motor for your screen. The relay unit I made is for a 240v ac motor. There is a four core cable to the motor; Earth, Nuetral and two Lives. Direction of motor is determined by which of the two lives get power.

For a 12v motor I would assume it is DC and the polarity is switched. It is also important that the limit switches are part of the motor system and there isn't something like an over current sensor that stops the motor at either extreme.

If you can post a full and accurate description of how your screen is controlled I may be able to help.

It a 240V motor controlled by up/down/off and earth. Infocus screen and
PJ.
as for the 12v cable i was meaning the cable form the PJ to the relay. what type of 3.5mm jack did you use.

Deeks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom