• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help needed - Windows desktop very slow to boot on SSD

martyn3000

Prominent Member
In the last few weeks my computer has become very slow at booting Windows 7. It boots to the login screen very quickly, but then after inputting password it takes quite a long time to boot to the desktop (it used to take a couple of seconds, now it's more like 30)

I am currently using a Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, so I'm pretty sure it's not the SSD at fault. In fact I only recently fitted this, but I was having the same problem with my previous Corsair Performance Pro 120GB SSD.

I've tried removing programs from startup, thinking it could be one of them, but it's made no difference.

Any ideas???

next010

Distinguished Member
Maybe a trim problem ? try this and see if it reports back enabled =0 or disabled =1

Probably doesn't help much but install the Samsung magician ssd software as well, it has some very basic drive is good or bad status.

It may be a system fault rather than specific software slowing it down.

Run sfc /scannow from admin command line as well to check integrity of windows system files. Also do a scan with malwarebytes.

You likely want to check the control panel\admin event viewer logs to see if anything is being flagged.

martyn3000

Prominent Member
Thanks, I'll give all of the above a try

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If it's booting up windows fine and only loading your profile that's the problem then I'd think there's a problem there. Try creating a fresh profile (user) and see if that logs on as quickly as you'd expect.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom