1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed - which new speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Godzooky, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Godzooky

Godzooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have the Bose AM6 running through a Denon 1801. I am moving shortly into a new flat and think now might be the time upgrade my speakers.

Budget is about £1000 and I already have a CHT-10 thanks to uncle Eric! So I really just need advice purely on the speakers.

I am trying to decide between 4 KEF Q3's and the KEF centre or 4 B&W 602.5's and the corresponding centre. I am edging towards the B&W's but think I have read that these will need a more powerful Amp to drive them. Is this true? How about the KEF's? would they run fine with my current Amp?

Any thoughts/recommendations?:confused:

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good budget.....that allows you to look at a fairly wide range of speakers....have a look at Kef,B&W,Linn amongst others,and basically try to listen to as many as you can before shortlisting some and having a few home demos before buying.
    It's essential to put a good bit of work into it,as you'll end up with something much closer to your requirements that way.
    Your current amp will be ok for a while,but will need upgrading at some stage to get the best out of your new speakers...also it may struggle a bit with some of the lower impedance speakers.

3. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    mordaunt short are updatin there 900 series in a few months you could have a look at them. they are a little within your budget . about £700-£900 for center front and rears.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    The B&W's are difficault speakers to drive and do respond far better with a more powerful amp, but this does not mean yours would not be ok for now.
    I have the 602.5's for surround (and 603's for main) driven by the bigger brother of your amp the 3802. I personally like the B&W's but some people have said that the 602.5's are a let down to the range. I can't really comment on this as I have only ever used them for surround duties.
    The 602's (stand mount) are considered a better speaker but would then need stands. Or you could try the LCR60 centre speaker for all 5. This is a very good speaker that can be used for general use. At around £200 each this would be just on your budget.

Mark.

5. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Three pairs of KEF Q1's will be around 600 GBP (me thinks). They sound excellent with my 2802 and SVS.

6. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    the mordaunt short 900 series are great but i am a little biased plus the front 2 floorstanders are shielded if they need to be placed near a tv

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,219
    The new MS range is due out mid Nov and has a beefed up driver, better X-over and a slimmer better braced cabinet. 912,914 and 903 roll over from the previous range (although in the new veneer). I'm writing the manuals now.
    Ed