1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP NEEDED - WHICH 37" SCREEN

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Alic, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a 37" flat screen tv and have a budget of up to £2,500ish any advice which one I should buy would be gratefully appreciated (but please don't get too technical or you will loose me!). Having done my own research I cant even decide between plasma and LCD (hence I'm goint to post this on the plasma forum aswell) but on my shortlist at the moment are the Sony KDE-P37XS1 and the Sharp LC37GA4E. It will be our main tv which we use primarily for watching sky. Any thoughts ?
    Thanks

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If whilst doing your research you have not come across the Sky HD announcement or the blu-ray/HD-DVD specs, it may be worth making you aware of the future need of a HDCP compliant digital connection if you are ever going to make use of HD TV from a broadcast or digital media. This basically rules out the current crop of Sony's be it LCD or plasma as they will only accept a HD source via component input so will not be compatible with the HD output from a Sky HD STB or HD-DVD/blu-ray players.

-Ian

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sky's Hi Definition broadcasts will start in 2006. You will need a new receiver and will probably be charged for it too. On the back of the receiver will be a digital video output either DVI or HDMI. If you are thinking of getting Sky HiDef, this is big thing in your choice.

Also, Hi Def TV's must be able to display at least 720 lines. A lot of the LCDs that are around at the moment can do that but many Plasmas cannot do this. But on the up side, Plasmas are cheaper.

The Sharp screen is very good and there are a couple of guys on here who have these tvs and are very happy. I've got the 32GA3 version on order and half the people on this board seems to have either a 32GA3/4 or a 26GA3/4. Can't be bad !

:)

4. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. On a practical side as it will be hung on a wall am I correct that LCDs are lighter and thinner ?

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have the LC-37GA4E, but mine is using the table mount and not using the speakers as I use a Home Cimema system. You will not be disappointed with this set and we watch SKY+ for 80-90% of the time.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't know about Plasmas but LCDs are about on average 10-12cm deep. The Sharp GD1E panels are the thinnest at the moment at 7cm.

Don't know about the weight but it shouldn't trouble even a stud wall as long as the bracket has been secured to the joists in the stud.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Who've you got your 32GA3 order with? Everywhere I've looked says this is now discontinued and I would really like to get hold of one.

8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I ordered mine from JL but believe me, this is probably the very last one in that company ! They found one in Edinborough and I've had to fight tooth and nail to get a GA3 from them and not a GA5 like they were going to palm off on me.

I ordered the GA3 on the 10th December. They're just about getting it to me later this week.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Did you pay a good price for it, if you don't mind me asking?

10. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'd rather not say at the moment, that is until I actually get the thing in the first place ! My experience with anything is that if I brag or boast about anything before I actually have it in my hands, then it inveriably goes completely t!ts up and I end up with nothing. Hopefully it shall be delivered on Wednesday.....you shall be informed on Thursday !

11. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alic, worth considering the Philips 37PF9986, which has now come down under £3000. Wall-mountable and with its own Amblight (backlight). Recommended (I have one). DVI input, HDTV compatible and Pixel Plus 2 picture processing. Assuming you like the styling, it is a winner. Ideally coupled with a DVI or HDMI equipped DVD player, but can take component via adaptor. It is 9.6cm deep
    Details here:http://www.consumer.philips.com/con...&proxybuster=RKDQXJTY22FVTJ0RMRESHQNHKFSEKI5P