1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP NEEDED - WHICH 37" SCREEN

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Alic, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a 37" flat screen tv and have a budget of up to £2,500ish any advice which one I should buy would be gratefully appreciated (but please don't get too technical or you will loose me!). Having done my own research I cant even decide between plasma and LCD (hence I'm goint to post this on the LCD forum aswell) but on my shortlist at the moment are the Sony KDE-P37XS1 and the Sharp LC37GA4E. Any thoughts ?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  3. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers

4. stefire27

stefire27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like my 37pe30 especially after hornydragon helped with getting the connections right, Loads to learn.

5. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and I love my 37" PW7, so sounds like you can't go wrong either way... :thumbsup:

A lot of people get put off by the idea of getting a plasma panel and then having to get their own home cinema kit or amp/speakers, and terminal boards etc - I was one of those people but was amazed how easy everything is in reality.

6. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess as a novice I thought the more pixels the better - and the sony has more than the panasonic. Clearly its not as simple as that and as you say - lots to learn. Unfortunately I am too lazy and haven't got enought time - I just want to buy my tv, buy my home cinema in box, get someone else to set it all up and then just watch it !

7. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well so far all I've done is this:

Ordered 37" PW7 + free SCART terminal + Pio DCS 323 Home Cine Kit

- Put SCART terminal into plasma when it arrived - 2 screws and that's it, literally.
    - Put Home Cine Kit speakers on wall and plugged them in.]
    - Connected Sky+ to plasma via SCART lead
    - Connected DVD to Sky+ via SCART lead
    - Connected Audio from Sky to Home Cine kit (one lead).

... and that's pretty much it. Oh, I wall-mounted the screen too - highly recommended for space-saving and general cool futuristic look!

I'll be getting a Component board shortly to connect my Xbox to and then I'm pretty much sorted - it really is that simple.

8. Alic

Alic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You make it sound so simple...How future proof is it as the hot topic on these forums seems to be sky high definition broadcasting which I'm not going to pretend to fully understand but would like whatever I buy to be able to cope with it

9. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, there are mixed opinions on the High Def debate.

To be honest, I don't know the answer, but the signs seem to suggest that true High Def either won't be available on the PW7 or if it is, it will require an upgrade similar to the HDMI card which is currently available but doesn't offer true High Def.

Either way I'm not really fussed, because the picture I get using Standard Def is amazing and, as a number of people on this forum believe, we won't be forced into getting fully complient High Def products for some years, by which time they will be much cheaper.

Also, although Sky have made announcements regarding the type of HD they'll be using, I think there's still some uncertainty over it. Try a search on the forum, there's probably enough material (not all of it good or backed up by fact!) to keep you reading until Sky High Def arrives... ;)

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. kevin19470

kevin19470
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too have fallen in love with my 37pe30 especially after hornydragon advised me too on the cables.
    Excellent deal excellent service from tv cables direct.. (I will be asking hornydragon to source me some speakers etc soon) - hope your watching mate.

Hope this helps alic, if hornydragon says its good - then its good IMHO.

Kev.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  13. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all honesty how good is the Sky+ picture in your opinion??

14. Sparkster101

Sparkster101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a question why spend all that money and connect it all just using Scart?

15. sisko

sisko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I got a 37" PW7 from Richer Sounds on Saturday for £1199 and I am really impressed with it.

I bought the scart board with the panel and will order a component board in the next few days (if I can get one).

The picture on the Panny is excellent using the RGB output of my Panny E30 DVD recorder. Can't wait to get the component board and try out the progressive scan.

:D

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    much much better than scart if source support component......JS RGB>VGA/YUV is also better than panny scart board which is the weak point of the whole system but scart does support WS switching and often comes free.....most people find it OK and very good (unitl you show them the difference)

17. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, to be honest, unlike many of the videophiles on here I actually do think SCART gives a decent picture (my previous TV was a Proline though so I'm more likely to be easily pleased than most... :D ) - and I can't compare it to Component or RGB2VGA yet because my Component terminal hasn't arrived and I haven't ordered the JS box yet.

Other reasons are that the SCART board came free with my screen, and I really want to use PIP for TV/Xbox - which isn't supported if I use Component and RGB2VGA together - and I didn't know that until I'd already put the screen on the wall! :blush:

But ultimately if I thought the picture was pants through SCART I'd buy the JS box, and so far I've had no problem with it, even daisy-chaining DVD through my Sky+ box and using a Composite/SCART adapter on my Xbox...

But I must say if Component is as good as it's touted versus Panny SCART - I can't WAIT to get that Component board... :clap: