Help Needed - Weird Random Noise

forzence

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been really frustrated with my home theater system. I finally was able to make some upgrades and now I'm having issues that I've never seen before. I'm currently running a Marantz AV8805 with my Rotel Amp RMB-1555. I currently have Martin Logan speakers (have been using them for 3 years).

After installing the system in the new house I've noticed some weird noises (looks like geiger counter noise) that's the best way I can explain. All cables are fine and well connected (audioquest cables). this noise happens randomly every time I watch a movie (either my plex remux movies or a blu-ray disk on my Panasonic UBP-820).

I was able to finally record during the movie Unbroken since the issue is not happening all the time. It happens once during a movie and then stops for the rest of it.

Please this is really frustrating and I really don't know what could be causing this. I'm running a panamax 5300 which I've never had issues with.

Thanks you so much for your help.

It sounds like something is causing interference creating the noise in your system. Do you have mobile phones nearby? Do you have DECT home phones?

HB

Upvote 0
Amazing...I had this exact issue last night, for the first time. I was watching Godfather on 4K disc. I managed to record it and decided to google 'geiger counter type noise av receiver' and here I am.
I have a Marantz SR7015 and was using a Panasonic UB450. I had the issue twice during the movie.
I've had this receiver and player for around 15 months and never heard it before.
The only thing I've changed in the last few weeks is a pair of rear surround back speakers.

At a loss as to the cause but will put a disc on this morning and start trying to find the cuplrit.

Upvote 0
Amazing...I had this exact issue last night, for the first time. I was watching Godfather on 4K disc. I managed to record it and decided to google 'geiger counter type noise av receiver' and here I am.
I have a Marantz SR7015 and was using a Panasonic UB450. I had the issue twice during the movie.
I've had this receiver and player for around 15 months and never heard it before.
The only thing I've changed in the last few weeks is a pair of rear surround back speakers.

At a loss as to the cause but will put a disc on this morning and start trying to find the cuplrit.
Hey Steve,

It's been a few months and let me tell you what I went thru so far. A few days after creating this post I had an electrician to come by to check my breaker panel. We found that the white wire was loose and it was overheating. After fixing and checking for everything we thought the issue was gone. After a few days watching another movie the same issue happened. At that point I started to think it could be not just the power but one my equipment. I decide to get a new AMP (Monolith 7x), brand new Audioquest XLR cables, brand new power conditioners from Furman and bought brand new speakers from SVS (Pinnacle Primes). Yes, I know I went crazy and decided to buy EVERYTHING new besides the Marantz AV8805. Plugged everything again and guess what? SAME DAMN ISSUE. I decided to again call the same electrician. We started to think out of the box and check not just my panel but the Meters at the MAIN panel. After hours of troubleshooting we noticed a voltage drop that was making my light flickering, microwave to go crazy and even "freezing" my route causing me to loose my internet and forcing me to reset the whole damn thing.

The voltage was dropping/fluctuating from 121 all the way down to 115/116.

We start to think that this was not just a simple bad wire but something much bigger. After talking to my other neighbors (we are a total of 6 townhomes) 4 of them were having the same issues with their lighting and equipment (Tv, microwave, washer/dryer).

We had the electrical company Xcel from Colorado to come and check the transformer and they found nothing. We schedule a power shut down so they could check the main panel. The ended up replacing a few things.

All that happened last week. I noticed that the voltage goes all the way up to 121~123V after 11:00PM. I'm not sure if it's normal voltage to drop during heavy load, specially during the weekends when everyone is home.

Also in the middle of this I had my AV8805 swapped by a new AV8805A with new dacs and HDMI2.1. So far I haven't tested enough to see if it was actually the old Marantz AV8805 (also bought new) or the electrical current and voltage drop.

I've heard that units like that can handle without any problems voltages all the way down to 114V. Not sure if it's true or not.

Sorry for the big reply but I wanted to make sure I had everything covered so you could have a nice baseline on what I've tested. I'll spend the next days testing the new AV PROCESSOR and the "fixed" electrical issue and let you know.

Best of Luck.

Upvote 0
Crumbs, thanks for the reply mate.
I was initially a bit relieved when I saw you had Marantz and Panasonic components, the same as me, but perhaps not.
Not sure where I will go from here right now, I guess I'll wait until it happens again before starting my 'journey'.
Fingers crossed with your testing.

Upvote 0
Crumbs, thanks for the reply mate.
I was initially a bit relieved when I saw you had Marantz and Panasonic components, the same as me, but perhaps not.
Not sure where I will go from here right now, I guess I'll wait until it happens again before starting my 'journey'.
Fingers crossed with your testing.
Did you fix your noise issue? I'm still having the same freaking noise.

Upvote 0
It's not happened again and I am getting plenty of movie time in and using all components. Nothing has changed with my equipment and no changes in the household at all.

Upvote 0
I wonder if it’s a sinking problem with GNDs on HDMI you could try linking the player with Processor using an RCA cable just connected to GND with just the GND connected at the end of each plug this can sometimes improve the audio marginally as well. The HDMI GND will usually be the same as the HDMI GND so you are ensuring 0V is 0V at both points

I use thick low impedance cable for this as it can help with ground between units and sometimes improve things

EA37BADD-59C6-460C-9BA0-F1546C7524F9.jpeg

Upvote 0
I wonder if it’s a sinking problem with GNDs on HDMI you could try linking the player with Processor using an RCA cable just connected to GND with just the GND connected at the end of each plug this can sometimes improve the audio marginally as well. The HDMI GND will usually be the same as the HDMI GND so you are ensuring 0V is 0V at both points

I use thick low impedance cable for this as it can help with ground between units and sometimes improve things

View attachment 1698766
Hey,

Thanks for replying. This actually was happening on my Apple TV, NV Shield not just the bluray player. I bought 6 HDMI cables brand new from audioquest and nothing. Got a brand new Marantz AV8805A and same thing. Does not happen twice in the same day and it's for only a few seconds and then goes away.

It's totally random and does not matter what type of content I'm watching. Already had several electricians coming to my house and everything is perfect.

Never thought that would be such a mystery.

Frustrated is the word for that experience.

Upvote 0
Be worth finding out

If it’s volume dependent
If it’s source dependent
Looks like it’s all channels ?
Might be worth trying playing a source setting to 2 channel
Assume washing machine or nothing else might set it off
Location of mobile phone ? Assume not very close ?

Upvote 0
Be worth finding out

If it’s volume dependent
If it’s source dependent
Looks like it’s all channels ?
Might be worth trying playing a source setting to 2 channel
Assume washing machine or nothing else might set it off
Location of mobile phone ? Assume not very close ?
Any volume. Source dependent? Maybe but almost sure not since is happening on my apple tv (while watching plex HVEC file remux 4k bluray), on my Sony X800M2.

All channels makes the noise. No washer/dryer on even the AC is off. Mobile phone in my pocket 3 meters away.

Is really a mystery here in Colorado. When I used to live in Florida never had any of that and at this point I jus have the option to pau almost 650 USD to have a professional to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the Processor, Subs and Amp.

Upvote 0
Can you monitor the voltage in some way and see if it is consistent with a drop causing the noise. When you say any volume does it go up and down as you change the volume ?

Upvote 0
Can you monitor the voltage in some way and see if it is consistent with a drop causing the noise. When you say any volume does it go up and down as you change the volume ?
Voltage is within the range. Never below 117. Volume. The noise happens regardless the volume. It does not matter.

It has to be something with this place. I literally bought everything again. I exchanged everything to make sure the issue was not my equipment.

Upvote 0
I wonder if an in-line mains filter might be worth trying (I’m not a huge fan of these as they can slug dynamics)

Upvote 0
I wonder if an in-line mains filter might be worth trying (I’m not a huge fan of these as they can slug dynamics)
Main filters? I don't think that will solve honestly. Anyways I will be living here just till the end of the year and will move. I've never thought I would have an issue impossible to fix.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom