Quantcast

Help needed using Surround Sound through SkyHD

portwaygang

Standard Member
Hi, i have a wlt68 Toshiba TV, ***** i know!! but will have to do for now, just bought a Samsung HT-D5100 Blu-Ray 5.1 Surround Sound System, and also have Sky HD. I have so far my Sky HD with HDMI to TV, Samsung Blu-Ray to TV with HDMI and Optical out from Sky to Blu-Ray. I put the required setting on the Blu-Ray for Optical but get no sound. The cable is beaming red no problem. If i watch a DVD surround works, If i take the Optical out of Sky and put into back of TV i can get freeview surround but whatever i do i get no Sky surround and thats the main reason i bought it. Please help me i have no idea what to do next. Thanks.:confused:

logiciel

Stevenage Neil

Try going into the Sky Audio options and changing to Dolby.

Sky hdmi only does stereo sound, doesn't it, unless latest models are different

Output sky box to sound system via optical or digital co-ax

Stevenage Neil

"Sky hdmi only does stereo sound, doesn't it, unless latest models are different

Output sky box to sound system via optical or digital co-ax"

"Optical out from Sky to Blu-Ray. I put the required setting on the Blu-Ray for Optical but get no sound."

Eh?

logiciel

Yes, the connections are right.
The only detail in the manual that might be relevant it is "Press the FUNCTION button to select D.IN input. The mode switches as follows : BD/DVD D. IN AUX R. IPOD W. IPOD FM".

rob virgo

Standard Member
I have just wired in a new optical lead from my pace bd box to a Panasonic 5.1 br amp/player , could not get any sound at speakers till I switched setti g on bd box on digital audio output from Dolby digital to normal
Sound is fine but. It sending proper surround signal to amp I'd say

Any ideas

logiciel

What is a "pace bd box", and what is the question?

Broadz

What is a "pace bd box", and what is the question?
He means he has a Pace Sky+ HD box. He's stating that when his optical output was set to Dolby Digital his home cinema could not decode the signal received from the Sky box. When he set it to Stereo (or Normal as he calls it) then the home cinema could decode it. Though quite why he thinks this is "proper surround sound" is anybody's guess. It's probably converting the stereo input to Dolby Pro-Logic, which may be good enough for him.

Obviously his home cinema is not set up properly, and is only expecting a PCM stereo signal to be input via optical, rather than set to Auto-detect whatever audio input it receives.

portwaygang

Standard Member
Hi, yes D.Input is selected but still no sound. Rang Toshiba and they said it will not work with their TV's which i find strange. I think i will never get my answer. Oh and Dolby settings etc on Sky box are all correct.

Broadz

Hi, yes D.Input is selected but still no sound. Rang Toshiba and they said it will not work with their TV's which i find strange.
You are aware that the optical connection on the back of the Toshiba WLT68 is an output (to output audio from the TV to a surround sound system), not an input, aren't you? And that the Toshiba does not have a Dolby Digital (or DTS) decoder built into it, so couldn't process digital audio even if you did find a means of sending DD to it anyway?

But more importantly, why have you phoned Toshiba? Your problem is getting surround sound from the Amstrad Sky box to the Samsung home cinema - what advice did you expect Toshiba to give you? Why didn't you phone Samsung?

portwaygang

Standard Member
Yes, i am aware its only stereo signal from Optical on TV, I just wanted to make sure the Optical input on Surround was working. Yes i know it is output. I rang Toshiba because i originally rang Samsung, they said connected ok but its an issue with tv, also rang sky and they said it not an issue with HD box so i am completely stumped.

logiciel

Samsung support are usually good but they let you down badly there, as obviously the TV has nothing to do with it.
The next thing to do is to try the alternative method of connecting the Sky machine to the Samsung, with two phono plugs, as shown at he right of the diagram on page 24, and then selecting AUX as the input instead of D-IN.

portwaygang

Standard Member
Many thanks for that. I have connected two phono plugs from the Sky to the Samsung and the sound is working, but when i pull the optical cable out it makes no difference. I presume that i have normal sound and not dolby digital, is there anything else i can do?

logiciel

That's a favourable sign then.:smashin:
Although you said the optical cable is showing light at the end I think it would be a good idea to try a new one.

That's a favourable sign then.:smashin:
Although you said the optical cable is showing light at the end I think it would be a good idea to try a new one.
If the cable is showing light is it not more lightly :)devil:) that there is a problem with the settings?

logiciel

The manual says that it does not support bitstream.:thumbsdow

logiciel

A new what?:confused:
And it isn't complicated normally - just plug and play.:)

logiciel

It can take something other than bitstream.:confused: