Help needed using a Panasonic E85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DennyL, Sep 13, 2007.

1. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a DVD with three items (TV programs) on it, created using the E85. Now, I would like to put one of those items onto a DVD. I thought that a method would be to copy that item to the recorder's HD and then to burn it to a DVD. When I try to do that (DVD>HD mode) I find that one can't browse the items on the DVD and select them, as one can in HD>DVD mode.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

2. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Have you finalized the DVD-R? I think you can only dub finalized DVD-Rs to the hard disk, but I've never tried it. The procedure is described on page 37 of the E85 manual.

Note that the recordings will be re-encoded during the dubbing to HDD, so there will be some loss of quality (barely noticeable if done in XP or SP mode). You can avoid re-encoding yet again by dubbing to the HDD with the DVD Rec for High Speed mode option set to On. Then you will be able to high speed dub from the HDD to the second DVD with no re-encoding - and the dubbing will be much quicker.

The normal method is to record programmes on the HDD, edit them on the HDD, then copy/dub to DVD-R. If you record the programmes on the HDD with the high speed option On you will be able to dub them to DVD-R in high speed mode with no loss in quality.

3. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, the DVD is finalized. I'm not worried about how quick the dubbing is, I just want to do it. If it takes all night, fine, I'll just go to bed and finish it up in the morning. When one dubs HD>DVD one can browse the items on the HD to select them. When one tries to dub DVD>HD on cannot browse the items on the DVD. Instead one has to specify a dubbing time, such as 2 hours. I've no idea what that means or how it works, as I just want to select an item to copy to HD.

4. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Ok. I was just drawing your attention to the options available to you.

You can when the DVD is a DVD-RAM, but not when it's a finalized DVD-R. A finalized DVD-R is just like a commercial DVD. All you can do is play it and select items to watch from the menu. Dubbing it to HDD consists of capturing what you play in a recording on the hard disk.

The procedure is very like what you would do if the DVD drive and HDD were in two separate units. You start recording the DVD drive's output on the HDD, then immediately play the DVD in the DVD drive. Everything you see on the screen is recorded on the HDD, including selecting the item in the DVD's menu. The recorder asks for a dubbing time before you start dubbing because it doesn't know how long it will take. This just needs to be comfortably longer than the time it will take to select and play the item you want to dub.

Let's say you've got three 30 minute programmes on the disc and you want to dub the second one. You select the dubbing direction and mode, then choose a suitable dubbing time. Make it 40 minutes, say. Then start dubbing. This starts the recording on the HDD and also starts playing the DVD. You should see the menu you created on the DVD when you finalized it. Select the second programme and let it play. You can walk away and leave the recorder to get on with it, in which case it will stop recording after 40 minutes, or you can monitor its progress and press Stop at the end of the second programme. Use partial erase afterwards to remove the extra material that there will be in the HDD recording, before and after the programme.

Alternatively you could specify more than 1 hour 30 minutes for the dubbing time, play the whole disc, and edit out what you don't want afterwards.