help needed urgently!!!

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by oshie, Dec 18, 2004.

1. oshie

oshie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could somebody please give me some advice as to how to get round quite a big problem i have.i own a denon avr 1803 reciever and have just purchased a marantz cd7300 and pm 7200 amp thinking i can just run an intrconnect from the denon's pre-outs to the pm7200 for the front stareo pair in multi channel.
    just one problem,the denon has no pre-outs! i never even checked and just assumed that it would have them.
    is there any way i can connect my front speakers to both amps by running another lenght of cable from the banana plugs on the 7200 to the denon?
    is this safe?
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks, john

2. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend that, oshie. I think the only sensible way around this is bi-amping your front speakers. Another way is to connect the pre-outs of your pm 7200 amp to any appropriate free channel on your Denon (eg. CD input) and let your Denon act as a control/power amp, but this defeats the purpose of your stereo amp, strictly speaking. You could always try it to see if it sounds any better than your current set-up without the pm 7200.

reservoir51

3. oshie

oshie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help reservoir51,but it looks like i'll have to buy an av amp with preouts,or just keep swapping the cables between the amps when listening to cd's then dvd's etc...(nightmare!)
    thanks again,
    oshie

4. teabag1605

teabag1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oshie,

I assume from the description that you play CD's in your DVD player. If that is the case does your DVD player have Left + Right Phono outs on the back of it, if it does you can connect these to the Stereo Amp and listen to music that way.

Regards

Teabag

5. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He may get interference with that sort of connection. From personal experience, connecting multiple amps to a single player increases the risks of electrical interference. In any case, he's already got a dedicated CD player.
    I think if Oshie is keen on keeping his old receiver, he ought to consider bi-amping the front speakers and see if that improves his current set-up.

Regards,
    reservoir51

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Buy a new amp with pre-outs, it'll save you a big headache!

7. oshie

oshie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks everyone for the help,think i'm gonna have to buy a new a.v amp(avr2803/3803 in gold if i can still find one!) my own fault,i should have checked what connections the 1803 had!
    all the best everyone.
    john

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Let us know how you get on oshie!