Help needed: Upgrading from Pioneer Elite

I have the bookshelf under my tv and floors next to the tv since they offer more midrange and the floor speakers are nice all around. The two compliment each other well so whatever I buy would want to still drive speaker a/b. It looks like arcam does not support this so I may end up with the denon 6700.

As I was saying - latest "fixes".......who would buy an AVR with all those bugs?!

JBL have just release 1.46.

Fix list (v1.46):
IMS21645: Add DTS Neural:X & DTS Virtual:X to mode list if incoming format is DD2.0
IMS21647: Zone 2 audio seems affected by zone 1 upmixer
IMS21653: DANTE JBL using DANTE no audio from any 44.1kHz input (NET, CD, etc)
IMS21843: Height C & S speakers play Atmos Height middle source audio in 9.2.6 setup
IMS22108: Unit freezing when installing Dirac filters
IMS22358: DANTE – very low level click during Dirac calibration
IMS22410: When volume is 0 sub still had low output
IMS22416: Podcasts longer than 100 minutes display “—“ instead of time
IMS22428: Casting to AVR through spotify no longer wakes unit from standby
IMS22433: Strange characters appear on screen when changing volume
IMS22442: Front panel volume control goes up before down and down before up with Dante enabled
IMS22445: DANTE Burst of noise through all Dante channels with Atmos (A Star Is Born - 4K)
IMS22471: Grey bar appears on the screen if changes are made to the speaker types with the web gui
IMS22475: When control is set to RS232, internal test tones from web gui will not work
IMS22482: Sub can rarely go to high volume on power on
IMS22486: Streaming audio changing MCH stereo > Virtual X then skipping 5-10+ tracks could cause lockup
IMS22501: DLCT gets incorrect gain value from AVR unless the master output level is adjusted
IMS22525: 3D - OSD missing background
IMS22545: RS232/IP sending command 0x0D while unit is in mute shows volume on OSD but not front display
IMS22546: RS232/IP erroneous character displayed on URC controller
IMS22550: No sub out on ch13-16 with Auro and Speaker Types > Subwoofer > Present
IMS22705: “Display On Time” still active during update
IMS22725: Add volume control to web client GUI
IMS22732: Internet radio timer on display will start counting in letters for longer listening times
IMS22733: DANTE – pop at start of Dirac measurement
IMS22734: RS232/IP – Command 0x43 returns Analogue Direct for DTS:X source
IMS22738: Front panel shows “Bluetooth Not Connected” after being powered up from standby on BT input
IMS22743: RS232/IP commands sometimes not ack’d
IMS22830: Unable to change wifi networks from web gui
IMS22832: 24/96 Auro +EQ loses Auro (gices just DTS HDMA)
IMS22835: Allow choice to reset or not after update
IMS22858: Sub gain in “Speaker Types” menu does not apply so subs attached to ch13/14/15/16

I am not sure that the OP is considering an Arcam AVR any more, but if so they will be pleased to know that the new range of HDA AVR's have just had a big firmware release that introduces new features and provides all round improvements.

Thank you everyone! After comparing the pioneer sc-lx704 with the sc-lx904 the only difference is 11.1 vs 13.1 and 10 WPC. when I went to get the denon, I found an open box sc-lx704 for 900 because it was missing the box, remote and microphone. That’s significantly less than the 2800 Denon. While I understand the denon has a few more features, I can’t justify the 1900 difference.

thanks for al your help!

Thank you everyone! After comparing the pioneer sc-lx704 with the sc-lx904 the only difference is 11.1 vs 13.1 and 10 WPC. when I went to get the denon, I found an open box sc-lx704 for 900 because it was missing the box, remote and microphone. That’s significantly less than the 2800 Denon. While I understand the denon has a few more features, I can’t justify the 1900 difference.

thanks for al your help!
Pleased to hear you have got a quality, reliable AVR, and dodged the Arcam bullet!

Lol! Thanks. Over the years seen too many reports of bugs, but arcam does have a lot of loyal followers and excellent sound. I applaud arcam for their dedication to exceptional hardware, but I really just want a receiver I can just plug in and expect to work.

and microphone
You will need the ACM1HB mic to get an accurate Audyssey calculation. Readily available from the likes of Amazon. The remote also aids set up although it can be done by using the front fascia buttons that can be a right faff.

I am happy to report that I have been plug and play with my Arcam AVR for over two years, no bugs and 100% reliability. And it sounds fantastic :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol! Thanks. Over the years seen too many reports of bugs, but arcam does have a lot of loyal followers and excellent sound. I applaud arcam for their dedication to exceptional hardware, but I really just want a receiver I can just plug in and expect to work.
I am glad that you got a discounted Pioneer and hope it suits you well. I have never tried a Pioneer AVR actually, and I'm quite curious about them, I read generally good things, I hope it works out well :smashin:

I am very happy with my Arcam AVR550 which has been rock solid and sounding sublime for well over 2 years, and with 3 years left to go on the warranty, hopfully it serves me well for some time!

Hello!

Last year we decided to upgrade our home theatre since we would be home most of the time due to the pandemic. I kind of went overboard and bought all Klipsch speakers which include rp8000f (speaker b), rp600m (speaker a) rp504c (center), rp500sa (height), rp502s (rear), two bic acoustics PL 200 ii subs and upgraded our tv to a Sony a9g 65” as well. This is all driven by a Pioneer sc-lx701 which needs to go in for repair and I’m ready to replace that as well.

Here is my dilemma. I was looking at a used Onkyo rz-840 because it’s THX certified. I don’t know if that really accounts for much anymore and the last THX AVR I had was from 2010 (and it sounded great back then. If THX is not a huge thing anymore, then I’m looking at a Denon x6500h and x6700h. I like the 6700h since it’s the first one I’ve seen that has front wide channel support in a while. I was also eyeing the x8500h but the newer features on the 6700 seem more in tune with my tv.

I’m looking for recommendations, and advise since I’ve focused most of my energy the past few years on cars and just now getting back into home theatre. One caveat is we don’t have a dedicated home theatre room and the equipment is in a large area with a cathedral ceiling which makes atmos much less effective.

Thanks I’m advance. Here is a picture for reference.
I recently did similar to you, bought a 75-inch Qled TV, then the rp8000f and 504 centre. Currently using my Onkyo av amp from 2015. The AV amp works fine sound-wise. but I found out that it does not passthrough 4k image to the tv, so I now have my cable box and ps4 plugged directly into the tv for the best quality picture, then use an optical for the sound, it works, but its annoying due to having to change the signal source manually each time now. Long story short, I am waiting till Onkyo start selling their new amps in the UK that are already fully HDMI 2.1. I hear they are out next year in the UK.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom