1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed (TV picture and connection)!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rogers, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,
    I just got a 29" Panasonic CRT (TX-29F125R). Its 100Hz and Progessive Scan. I also have a Panasonic DVD (S75) player thats Progressive Scan (NTSC only). Am currently using the S-Video connection.

To say the picture is good would be an overstatement. However I do not wish to say thats its bad either. I think I would equate it to a picture you would get when using composite connections :thumbsdow . There is alot of noise. Text and picture are somewhat blurred. And pixelation is very evident.
    Its no longer a joy watching DVD as the artefacts are really in your face. Its terrible.

Frankly I was surprised at the poor quality of the picture. This is because I originally had a Philips TV (also 29") but 50Hz and the picture with S-Video (the very same cable!!) was fabulous. Very crisp and clear :thumbsup: .
    Both the DVD player and the TV have component output and input respectively.

Should I expect to get a much better picture with this connection. I keep reading that the difference between S-Video and Component in terms of picture quality is almost negligeable, which in this case would mean am stuck with a poor picture. This would be a shame, as I really thought the jump from 50Hz to 100Hz progressive scan would be a really good one. (The 29" Philips was really good with DVD using S-Video)

Please advise.

Also, if I do go component, which cables would you advise (in terms of brand..... etc)

Otherwise I have learnt alot from this forum!!!!!!! Very enlightening!!!!!!!

2. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Try a set of component cables, there is a BIG difference in quality, as for the 100hz I have no idea.

I use a set of chord component cables myself, but there a so many for you to choose from, IXOS are reasonably cheap.

And welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In general that isn't true as component video is a much higher quality signal than s-video although some implementations may be better / worse than the norm.

In any event if you wish to take advantage of progressive scan you will need to use component connections.

4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are some cheap component cables for sale in the classifieds here

5. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You guys work really fast!!!!
    Am glad I got a reply this soon.
    I will try the component connection and see what it gives me!!!!!! Fingers crossed!!!!!
    Thanks alot everyone.
    Cheers!!