Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help needed (TV picture and connection)!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Rogers, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi all,
    I just got a 29" Panasonic CRT (TX-29F125R). Its 100Hz and Progessive Scan. I also have a Panasonic DVD (S75) player thats Progressive Scan (NTSC only). Am currently using the S-Video connection.

To say the picture is good would be an overstatement. However I do not wish to say thats its bad either. I think I would equate it to a picture you would get when using composite connections :thumbsdow . There is alot of noise. Text and picture are somewhat blurred. And pixelation is very evident.
    Its no longer a joy watching DVD as the artefacts are really in your face. Its terrible.

Frankly I was surprised at the poor quality of the picture. This is because I originally had a Philips TV (also 29") but 50Hz and the picture with S-Video (the very same cable!!) was fabulous. Very crisp and clear :thumbsup: .
    Both the DVD player and the TV have component output and input respectively.

Should I expect to get a much better picture with this connection. I keep reading that the difference between S-Video and Component in terms of picture quality is almost negligeable, which in this case would mean am stuck with a poor picture. This would be a shame, as I really thought the jump from 50Hz to 100Hz progressive scan would be a really good one. (The 29" Philips was really good with DVD using S-Video)

Please advise.

Also, if I do go component, which cables would you advise (in terms of brand..... etc)

Otherwise I have learnt alot from this forum!!!!!!! Very enlightening!!!!!!!

2. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Try a set of component cables, there is a BIG difference in quality, as for the 100hz I have no idea.

I use a set of chord component cables myself, but there a so many for you to choose from, IXOS are reasonably cheap.

And welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    In general that isn't true as component video is a much higher quality signal than s-video although some implementations may be better / worse than the norm.

In any event if you wish to take advantage of progressive scan you will need to use component connections.

4. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There are some cheap component cables for sale in the classifieds here

5. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You guys work really fast!!!!
    Am glad I got a reply this soon.
    I will try the component connection and see what it gives me!!!!!! Fingers crossed!!!!!
    Thanks alot everyone.
    Cheers!!