1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed transferring footage back to camcorder from PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Chris1234, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Chris1234

Chris1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have copied some footage from my recently purchased camcorder (a Sony DCR-HC40E) to my laptop (a Dell Latitude D600 running windows XP SP2 with a PCMCIA firewire card) with no problems.

Having now edited the footage, I want to burn it to a DVD. I don't have a DVD burner for my laptop, although I do have a JVC DR-M1 DVD Recorder. I tried connecting that to my laptop via firewire, but failed miserably to get anything working between the two (if anyone knows how to do that, please let me know, as it removes the need for everything from here on!).

As I can't figure out how to get from my PC to the JVC, but can easily dub from the camcorder to the JVC, I decided although it is a pain to have an additional stage, I could at least copy back from the laptop to the camcorder, and then dub to the JVC from there.

Unfortunately, and this is the question I really need answering, I cannot, whatever I do, figure out how to transfer back from the laptop to the camcorder! Please help???

I know that the camcorder has DV-in enabled, so that isn't the problem, but other than that, I haven't a clue what I need to do.

The camcorder appears in Windows explorer, but it won't let me copy anything onto it.

Apologies if this is a real basic question that has been answered many times before!

Thanks,

Chris.

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The export from your laptop must be done from within your editing programme - you may be able to send direct to your DVD recorder but providing your camcorder is DV-in enabled then you can most definitely do it that way. If you post which editing programme you are using somebody will almost certainly be able to help you.

Just in case your using moviemaker - first have your video in the timeline then down the left side under item 3 FINISH MOVIE select "send to DV camera" but your camera must be connected by firewire, switched on and in 'VCR' mode

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    If your DVD writer has a firewire input then the above instructions for copying back to DV should also work on the writer. The only thing you need to do is tell Movie Maker not to use device control as it will not be able to control the DVD writer.

Mark.

4. hwinterton

hwinterton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with writing back to your camcorder from your laptop. I too have a Dell Latitude D600 and spent months trying to work out why I couldn't get this to work. I finally worked out why, most laptop HDD's don't spin at the required 7200rpm! :confused:

So if you do get your's to work, please send me some tips

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    7200rpm is not a requirement for copying AVI files back to a camcorder. As long as the drive meets the ATA100 specs then it is good enough for DV capture and copying. I have previously done NLE on slower drives with no dropped frames etc.
    Most problems with capture & copying of AVI files, especially on older PC's, tend to have more to do with background programs such as antivirus, screen savers etc useing too many resources and therefore the PC can't keep up.

Mark.