1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Toshiba 520

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ibster, Oct 18, 2002.

1. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK,

i bought the player under the assumption that it had a DTS decoder built in, connected it to my amp using the 6ch inputs and no sound :-(, ive checked all the settings but the dvd player says that a DTS decoder is needed !!! Can anyone else confirm that the player DOES have a DTS decoder.

Secondly, i connected the player via the component outs to my Toshiba 42 INCH RP (cant remember the model no, its the 5.1 100Hz one) and i can get a picture using interlaced but when i switch to progressive i get no picture, am i doing something wrong or is the tv not compatible with progressive.

No a very happy chappy at the mo, the 2 reasons why i bought the player both arent working,

HELP !!!!

thanx in advance,

ibster

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have the 510 and it doe's not have a DTS decoder, just Dolby digital, so i guess the 520 is pretty much the same.

To Get progressive scan you will need a front projector or Plasma, there are a couple of tv's out at the moment that i believe except a progressive signal but i coudn't name them.
    Your tv should be able to decode the DTS signal from the OPTICAL or COAXIAL connection from your dvd player.

3. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks Timh,

another quick question, now that i know my tv does not do progressive :-(, will the component out put to interlaced be superior to RGB ?

thanks in advance,

ibster

ps i think i'll be having a word with the supplier for giving me misleading info with regards to DTS

4. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
  5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    It depends who you are talking to, some think componant is slightly better to RGB.
    The good point about having componant for DVD on you tv means it free's up your RGB input for a digi box.

6. ibster

ibster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    bjd,

after reading the spec, thats why i bought it from them !!! after going through the manual i can safely say that there is definitely NO onboard DTS decoder on that machine unfortunately so it looks like i'll have to stick with DD5.1 for now :-(

cheers

ibster

Timh, at least i got RGB with my sky box now :)