• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help Needed to receive HD through my HD display

LC Cool T

Standard Member
Can anyone please offer any advice?
I have an Panasonic TH-50PHW3 High Definition Plasma Display of which it came with a the now Panasonic Tuner TU-PTA300B (analogue). I obviously want to receive HD of which I have a virgin V+ digital box and a PS3, but there is no ready HDMI for me to connect to, I have managed to find out the fact that HDMI was introduced in 2005 and most plasmas that were pre-2005 which mine is were not HDMI ready, but the display is capable of HD resolution also i'm told that the component slots on this display are removable so can I buy a HDMI replacement slot or is this not as cut and dried? so was wondering what was the best way for me to get HD? DO I need a converter? another HD tuner box? or should I be able to do this thru my V+ box? as the only connectors i've really got from the plasma is RGBHV? If anyone could offer some advice it'll be really appreciated.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello LC Cool T

Its been a while since I had to work with a Series 3 Display but fear not there are plenty of options to enable you to view Digital and Analogue HD Sources on your Display.

An HDMI Input Board is not an option – the first HDMI Boards from Panasonic were useless when it came to supporting 50Hz signals so best to avoid them.

The TU-PTA300B was not a great bit of kit – most folk found it degraded high quality signals so unless you really need its switching abilities it may be best to retire it.

With V+ if you want access to every HD channel on offer you have to use the HDMI Output – as some of the Movie channels are not Output via its HD capable Analogue (3RCA) Component Outputs.

An HDCP 'naughty box' is going to be your best option – these units strip the HDCP encryption out of HDMI signals and Output either a Digital or Analogue HD signal (depending on which Naughty Box you employ).

With a single HDCP stripper on the Output side of an HDMI Switch you can have any number of HDMI equipped Sources playing into your Display.

Joe

LC Cool T

Standard Member
Hi Joe,
Thanks fo reply. How do I go about sourcing one of these boxes?
and how much can I expect to pay?
Yes i would like it to output maybe 3 pieces of equipment. My V+ box, PS3 and Mac Mini.

Thanks Ty
(An appreciative member)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom