1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed to defrag hard drive and other.

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Ged, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi, firstly I have very little knowledge of PC's but can do with some help with a recent problem on this one.
    All has been well until last weekend when it decided not to boot up, returning to a warning screen about possible hardware faults or power problems etc.
    It gave me 30 secs or so to change how to restart the PC, none of which got it going.
    Took it to be fixed and the guy fixed it, said the drive had lots of corrupted or bad areas I think but said the hard drive "may" die at some unknown point but it is working for now.
    What I cannot do is run the defragment tool as it says,
    "Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume. Please run Chkdsk /f."
    I do this but knothing happens and the problem persits, any ideas?
    Also the start up screen says something like "checking file system......" which it didn't use to do.
    Apart from the above question some advice on whether to have a new HDD fitted and how to save the programs on this one would be appreciated

:lease:

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    it sounds like you're not letting the chkdsk utility ( the checking disk you see on startup ) finish its check Ged.. ?

you get a prompt 'press any key to cancel disk checking' or similar..

Dont press anything and it should then go through and check all the files and folders. This could take some time, depending on how much data you have on your drive.

It won't let you defrag until chkdsk has finished and made any neccessary repairs to the files / folders on the Disk..

If you're letting Chkdsk finish at startup, and are still getting the message when trying to run DeFrag, it may be worth trying to run ChkDsk manually by opening a command prompt ( Start > Run > type CMD > OK )

then type chkdsk /f and press enter

this will (should) do the same as the startup disk check.

After chkdsk finishes, try running defrag again and see what happens.

Try this first, then we'll look at the other options afterwards..

It does look like your HDD is on it's way out, although there may be opther causes depending on what version of windows you are running ?

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Dude,
    I will try it tomorrow after the match (hic!)
    Using XP machine 10 months old but no warranty due to fitting a dvd burner.
    Ged

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dude,
    I have tried what you suggested and it remains the same. I have put some word doc's onto a CD and await the day it all goes t!ts up.
    We have an older PC sat here so I will probably make sure all important work is on that as well.
    When I bought this tower it didn't have an OS on it, after installing 98 the HDD was seen only as 2GB so after advice a friend installed XP.
    This has "upgrade" on the box, could I run that without 98 when this HDD dies and I fit the new one?
    Ged

5. Ivan8192

Ivan8192
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ged,

You can install an Upgrade version of XP onto a blank harddrive. It will just prompt you to insert your old OS (Win98, ME etc.) CD for a moment at the start of the installation process.

Regards,
    Ivan.

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    that doesn't sound healthy..

It could be XP causing the prob by not shutting down properly, I'll have a search today and see if there's anything else to try first.

Never used XP Upgrade, so not sure on that one..

PM me your XP UG license key and I'll see if it works with the full version, If it does I'll burn you a copy of the full version media and post it over..

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the offer Dude, I have now backed up what I need and will leave it for now, probably exploring the option of taking it back to the guy in the shop as it will cause too much stress if I try to do it.
    It is an XP upgrade, if you install on a new drive it will ask for 98 to be popped in briefly ( I found the instructions), then carries on the install.
    Regards
    Ged