Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help Needed to connect Sky+ and DVD player to Plasma

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Tony Turbo, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Tony Turbo

Tony Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys, I am desperate for some info here, I just don't know what to do :confused: I'm not too clued up on these systems yet.

I have a Hitachi 5200, Sky+ and a Sony DVSR3 Amp and DVD combo, Xbox and PS2. The Sky+ box and Sony only have a Scart out and S-Video for picture. I want all the sound from everything to go through the amp, and I want the best picture possible for all my other stuff. How am I best off doing this?

Can I use a Scart out and Component in to the Plasma, or is this a waste of time? I plan to use Optical from the Sky+, Xbox and PS2 into the Amp, I guess I will just have to keep changing plugs around. For the Xbox I have the MS High definition pack and an optical lead and I am going RGB straight into the Plasma. Picture is "ok" but could be better. I have also ordered a similar pack for the PS2, so will see how that goes.

I just want the best possible picture on Sky and a DVD. At the moment I am using Scart from the Sky to the Amp to the TV. I have one pukka Monstor Gold Scart cable, and the shonky Sky one, so I know I am not getting the best possible picture, but I am reluctant to buy anything else until I know what will be best.

PLEASE HELP before I pull the rest of my hair out :lease: :lease:

2. Tony Turbo

Tony Turbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody? :lease:

3. Lee James

Lee James
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I want to know the answer too!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, being a lazy son of a ..... I wanted to minimise on the number of remotes I needed, and the number of times I needed to leave the couch, so I opted for a Yamaha 640RDS Amp. All the devices are connected via s-video to the amp, and the s-video output goes to my Hitachi 5300.

I'm aware that I can get marginally better pictures by going in with component, and I do have a component feed direct from my Panny E95 DVD recorder/player into a different Aux input to the Hitachi, but most of the time I'm happy with s-video.