help needed to buy a digital camera £100-£150

pharris2202

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have £1000 comet vouchers and am looking to buy a digital camera for my girlfriend to use. I am looking for advice on which one to buy and am looking to spend £100-£150. I want one that will take decent quality pictures for outside and inside. I realise the budget is small but it's her first camera and don't wanna spend a fortune.

I am also gonna buy a digital photo frame but am looking for a wall mountable one. Does anyone know if you have to have them plugged in all the time or can they be charged up? I am looking to spend £100 on this so can anyone recommend one from Comet?

All help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Forgot to add.
It's a compact I'm looking for and she will be using it for taking pictures of family, nights out etc. I am just looking for ageneral all rounder.
Someone recommended the Panasonic FS3.

Can anyone give me so help please.

thanks again

Just got meself a compact this week , its a Canon Powershot A720 IS , 8mp , 6 Optical Zoom , simple point & shoot but manual controls if you ever need it , nice 2.5" lcd screen plus viewfinder , if you research it on google some favourable reviews. IS is image stablisation ,
Got mine from Canon Outlet on Ebay for about £95 refurb ( new ).

HTH.

thanks just had a look on the comet website where i've got the vouchers for and they don't have the a720. stuck with buying from there due to vouchers I have. any idea's on what to get from there?

The Panasonic is a fine point and shoot camera, in that price range cameras by Canon and Fuji are also very good. The best thing to do is go and try them out at your local comet store and see which one you prefer. Do not forget to budget for a case and memory card, I hope this helps:smashin:

someone else recommended a panasonic but anyone any idea's up to £150 for the best point and click compact from comet website?

My friends just bought a Sony W170. It's a nice looking little camera and is easy to use. Lots of features to, the smile detection was a lot of fun and more importantly it worked.

...The W130 seems a good buy at £118 too

yeah i looked at the w130 but i always worry when a compact has 8megapixels for that cheap, it usually means the lens is a piece of crap. might go for the w170. anyone have either of these camera's care to comment?

The Sony and the Panasonic are perfectly good point and shoot cameras and I am sure your girlfriend would be happy with either one, saying that the Panasonic uses much cheaper and readily available SD memory cards. I have used both Sony and Panasonic and only have a Panasonic myself because of the aforementioned memory card prices, my camera is a 2006 vintage DMC7 and I have been very impressed with it! I hope this helps you make a decision, oh forgot to mention the Panasonics have Leica lenses and the Sony usually use Carl Zeiss:smashin:

Last edited:
I would go for this ...
Currys - Shop for Digital Camera - Canon Ixus 80 - Silver Image Stabilisation and Face Detection Digital Camera
I have always used Ixus for P&S's - they are pretty small and rugged and half decent photo quality.

Nice camera but they don't seem to stock it at comet. They have the IXUS 85IS but it's over budget.

Regarding the Sony, I don't think there's any difference between the W130 and W170 lens just the latter has extra features and more MP. Just a case on deciding whether those features are needed. My compact is a Sony P200 which has 7.2 MP and this has been more than enough for us.

My mate's been very impressed with his W170 which replaced her P200 due to mislaying it on a drunken night out.

thanks a lot for all your help, think I'm gonna go for the Sony W130 as its got more features, although the memorys more expensive she wont be using it all that much so will just transfer the photos straight to my p.c.

Now can anyone recommend any digital photo frames around £60 - £90 from Comet??

I'm looking for a wall mountable one but can anyone tell me if they need to be plugged in all the time or are chargeable?

thanks a lot for all your help, think I'm gonna go for the Sony W130 as its got more features, although the memorys more expensive she wont be using it all that much so will just transfer the photos straight to my p.c.

Now can anyone recommend any digital photo frames around £60 - £90 from Comet??

I'm looking for a wall mountable one but can anyone tell me if they need to be plugged in all the time or are chargeable?

My advice on digital photo frames, is don't bother! Not in my experience anyway - they cost a lot of money, comparatively speaking, for very below average quality. IMO, best off setting up a screensaver slide show on your home PC, and getting your favourites printed at a quality on-line printer (someone like Photobox). FWIW, we bought a Kodak 7x5 one for £60/£70 odd and I think it was a waste of money!

Generally digital cameras are pricey, but there are decent cheap digital cameras. It just takes a little persistence finding them. Most models priced under about $75 are mere novelties and not really very usable. But from about $80 to $125 there's quite a selection of reliable cameras with a fair range of features.

The digital camera that is making an impression on consumers is the Canon Power Shot A570 IS. With a price of price of about one hundred and seventy dollars, consumers will have powerful camera for capturing the moment.

Devastating its predecessor the Nikon D50 Digital SLR camera, the all new compact and affordable point-and-shoot Nikon D40 Digital SLR camera comes at a significantly lower price. With a subtly different set of features Nikon has trimmed some of the 'less important features and have included a range of new features including the custom Auto ISO feature available on the Nikon D80 Digital SLR cameras.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom