1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed - suggestions for ceiling mounted speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by geordie boy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

After some help - currently in the process of having our new house built and want to wire up all the rooms with a pair of speakers in each.

Would prefer the speakers to be mounted flush into the ceiling and all going to be wired back to one central point. Would consider small discreet speakers being mounted near to ceiling I suppose.

As the build is already nearly bankrupting us wondered if anyone could suggest speakers that would do the trick at reasonable prices!!!!

Most of the rooms are for background music rather than pure listening pleasure and some of the rooms are quite big!

Help?!

GB

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Canton in ceilings are good and reasonably priced mate also wire cat 5 from light switch in each room back to a same central point, this will cost very little, but allow for control using most mulitroom systems http://www.qed.co.uk/multiroom/index.html for some info. well worth doing for expansion at later date mate.
    http://www.canton.de/www/index.php4?pg_id=18,18,,2,en
    also look at kefet al most do inceilings, also linn do some tiny in ceiling units, sweetspot???
    but with cat5e and speaker cable almost any type of MR system can be done, if possible add plenty of power at central point 2 doubles at least and a double run of cat5 to main living room hifi area.

3. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers horny - you must have read my mind as I just posted a question in the DIY forum about getting help on multi-room systems!

Basically looking to run cat6 (is this better than cat5) to all the speaker points and do exactly the same to a point next to all the light switches.

I know someone who is able to run all their TV/Music/Dvds/lights etc from the remote panel in each of their rooms! They are on holiday at the minute so desparately trying to find out any info on this type of multi-rooming.

Can't afford any of the hardware for some time but may aswell put all the wiring in while the walls are going up!!

Thanks for your links mate (off to have a look now) - if you have any more on the types of system above it is much appreciated!

Cheers
    GB

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For lighting, Helvar and systemline 4.4 can use a common double keypad, and so i think possibly can living control with another lighting system. have a look at living conrtol website.

5. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This systemline 4.4 looks very comprehensive! What sort of prices are we talking?

Having a look at living control site now...cheers again.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £2600 for the main controller + key pads etc. Can be used with a video switch unit to distribute Sky+ ~DVD over S-video.

7. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well impressed with the living control set up - simple loading of cd's etc etc (just what the mrs and kids will need).

There is a dealer in Leicester (none in Notts) so I'll pop in tomorrow for a chat I think - cheers for the help so far.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Event is a great peice of kit mate!

9. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like it will make my dinner and wash the car aswell - just need it to go to work for me now!

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  11. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone else with any speaker suggestions???

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sonance are good, we use a lot of 622 and 621 now and again 623s

13. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    B&W also do some in-ceiling kit, aimed for the home. Mission also do - but it's aimed more at the professional market. Still worth asking about though.

14. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As Hornydragon says , Sonance are very good, as are B&W's - they also do single stereo speakers (one speaker -two tweaters) that were suprisingly effective. IMHO - don't bother with the Linn sweetspots, I wasn't impresssed at all.

In the end I went for Proficient C610's which I'm happy with.

I also decided on wall mounted bookshelf speakers for the study so I had one set left over - currently on ebay :devil:

For music, Stay clear of the budget sets that TLC, Maplin etc sell - they're fine for announcements but not good for music.

You can find a good range here Hifistore but shop around for better prices.

15. geordie boy

geordie boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone - lots to look at.

Although the hi-fi firm I went to see are advising me to run video cable from the multiroom system to certain visuals in the house - sounds great and means can run controls through tv....but £20 per metre!

and there are a lot of metres!

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £20m!!!! £5m is more like it!!!! CX5CV £5/m excellent stuff!

18. emquzu

emquzu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Geordi boy,

All suggestions seem fine so far. I would highly recommend Sonance speakers for custom installation or Kef Ci range if you can source them. As for the multiroom video cabling I would probably avoid this. So long as you run standard video coax to all TV points you've got most areas covered. Cat5e is your best bet for the multiroom control, you could use Cat6 although there is probably no need as Cat5e covers enough bandwidth for all your needs. If you can budget for it though, obviously Cat6 is better but then how far do you go? If you're doing a structured wiring of the house then you need to make sure you've got Cat5e going to all potential telephone and network points running centrally back to a headend and we haven't even talked about possible lighting control optoins which you may want in the future!!! There are too many considerations when wiring a new build to cover now, but whilst things are being built is the time to get all the cabling in.

I would avoid Linn Sweetspots unless you are going to reinforce them with a subwoofer, although at this stage the most inportant thing is to get all the correct cabling in. I certainly wouldn't pay 20 pounds / meter though! Best thing to do is to get down to the self build exibition next week in London and you can then speak to people there in more depth.

Regards,

Justin
    I'm not on here very often so if you need more info, just give me a mail on emquzu@hotmail.com