Help needed... Speakers, amps, computer.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Anotherstani, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Anotherstani

Anotherstani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I need help.

I'm having a bit if a nightmare here, I've been reading up for the past week on speakers and connections and pre amps and getting it all hooked up to a computer. My head is up my ass at the minute. I'm about to buy a pair of monitor audio b1's, these are the connections on the back
    m.imgur.com/pgEW8ch

There are 4 holes there, I can just about deal with two, but 4 is sending me insane. How do I deal with this? What do I need? Amps, preamps, DACS (whatever this is)? Aggghhhhh.

I'm going to bed for a bit, probably to dream about wires or sound waves or something to do with speakers.

2. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Before you hit the panic button, why don't you lay out your requirements, ie what you are trying to achieve, with roughly what sort of kit and budget.

Audio isn't that hard.

3. Anotherstani

Anotherstani
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I had a bit of a melt down then.

Ok, the speakers will be connected to my computer (imac/MacBook Pro). I understand I need something in between, like the Muse M50 mini amp (£40). Then I'd need some wiring between the lot (mini jack to phono, then phono to banana plugs?).

I just don't understand if I'd need two sets coming from the speakers?

Would I need a DAC as well as an amp?

4. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Depends on how far you want to go. Simplest way is to use the headphone out from your Macbook through a Y-cable. That will go into the 2 inputs of the T-amp.

You don't need 2 pairs of wires into the speakers. you can bridge the 2. Most speakers with 2 inputs come with bridging plates. If not, you can just connect them with speaker cables. You don't necessarily need plugs. you can use bare wire into the posts. Plugs are useful for rapid plugging and unplugging.

The "soundcard" bit of your laptop motherboard has its own DAC. Hence the analogue output from the headphone jack. So you don't need an external DAC.

External DACs can improve audio quality. But you're better off using something better than the T-amp and its odles more money.