Help needed soon !

tomfun69

Standard Member
I`ve Just won one of these on ebay DISCONTINUED SONY STRDB940 HOME CINEMA AMPLIFIER - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/147 for details
I also have a pair of Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers to use and a 32" Technosonic hdmi t.v
As i have no idea how to connect these i am asking for a bit of advice from
experts .
I will be using the 2 speakers as fronts for now and then adding another pair
later for rears.
I realy wanted to know apart from speaker cable what other cables/connectors i will be
needing and where to stick them.

:lease:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you want pseudo surround from the TV, you'll need to run an audio cable to the amp. This will more than likely be analogue phono (red/white) or optical (toslink). If you check the back of the TV, you should see a connector marked "Audio Out" or a circle with an arrow pointing outwards. Alternatively check the manual. I'm not familar with the brand but a quick search on AVF revealed a lengthy owners thread and I think it has analogue (RCA) phono out, so you would need a phono cable e.g. phono cable. Connect to an input on the amp, there will probably be one marked TV so use that.

Do you have anything else to connect e.g. DVD player, Bluray player, games console, satellite receiver and so on?

tomfun69

Standard Member
Thanks for your help dave,yes i forgot to say i have a dvd recorder (LG) , sky + box and a ps2.

Im not to bothered about surround sound to much until i have another pair of speakers.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
As you haven't got the additional speakers yet, I would simply stick with the 2.0 output from the TV and enjoy amplified audio from all sources via the TV. Once you have the other speakers, then I would look at digital audio connections for dolby digital e.g. optical from the sky+ box. I think you can use optical for the PS2 as well.

tomfun69

Standard Member
Thanks again Dave, so for now i just need 1 pair of phono cables to connect the t.v audio output to the amp.

I was wondering if i needed to connect the sky+box and the dvd player in the same way or would this make no difference to anything?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You will need an optical cable for sky+. Your DVD player will depend on what connections it has but to get true surround sound formats, you'll need a digital connection (either optical or digi-coax).

tomfun69

Standard Member
So at the moment i will be getting amplified sound via the t.v ,then when i connect the dvd player and sky+ box via an optical cable i would get dolby digital etc.

What i don`t understand is that there are phono connections on the amp for dvd/satalite etc ,what is the point of this if i can get all sound via the t.v anyway?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom