1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed Sherwood RD6106R

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mothman, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Mothman

Mothman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    New to home cinema and needsome help. I purchased a Sherwood RD6106R
    from Richer Sounds open box sale. When I eventualy set it up I found
    my subwoofer would not work when playing CD's thru my DVD player,
    but the sub did seemed to work when playing home cinema. I took the
    receiver back to RS but was told that they would not refund (as it was more than 2 weeks since purchase) but would accept it for repair under the 3 month warranty.

The RS repair guy phoned today to say that there is nothing wrong with
    the 'sub out' on the receiver and that a sub will only work when connected
    to a Sherwood receiver if the front speakers are set to 'Small' ( I had them
    set to `Large' as per the speaker manufacturers instructions and the subwoofer set to 'yes').

Does anyone out their have experience of 'Sherwood' amps and if so can they
    advise:-

1) Is it true that I need to set the front speaker settings to 'Small'
    if using a sub?

2) Will setting the fronts to 'Small' adversley effect the sound quality.

My speaker package is an 'Athena Point 5' as below link

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/rev...rPackages/Athena/AthenaTechnologiesPoint5.php

All help appreciated

p.s. I realise Sherwood kit is not the best, but was just looking to get started
    in HC without spending mega bucks.

2. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have the Sherwood 6095 and before I bought my Kef eggs I had the front speakers set to large and I was using a Gale Sub with no problems.

I don't know about the model you have but mine certainly will let you set the fronts to large and still use a sub!

3. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mothman, don't be too quick to pigeonhole sherwood receivers, true , they're aimed primarily at the budget end of the market but they have released some great kit in the past - I still hang onto my 925 rds receiver because its an award winning 5.1 amp which to date sounds superb hooked up to a decent set of speakers and sure, it may be 4 years old but as long as it does the business, I'm not complaining, apart from which, its the only receiver I know which allows me to play my ac3 laserdiscs!

4. Mothman

Mothman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gargoyle, Apologies I was'nt trying to 'Dis' Sherwood, I just wanted to avoid people telling me to ditch it and buy a different make.

Can you remember if your sub worked in audio & home cinema if your front speakers were set to 'Large' on your Sherwood?

Cheers

5. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mothman,

I too had the Sherwood R925RDS (like Gargoyle) until 3 years ago. I remember buying it back in 1999 and I've never made any reference to it until now. I used different speakers then but they were indeed set to small, and the sub worked fine with CDs and DVDs alike.
    Although it was very reliable, its performance in stereo and Pro-logic was to be honest, relatively unsatisfactory. Since then, I've owned a Pioneer VSX-835THX, Cambridge Audio Azur 540R, Yamaha RX-V650 and now Yamaha DSP-AX750, all in chronological order. The sound quality improved in the same order.

Regards,
    reservoir51

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Mothman, setting the speaker sizes to either small or large should'nt significantly affect the subwoofer output, obviously, if you have a small pair of main speakers (as I have), setting this position on your receiver will give the subs slightly more work to do and if you have large speakers, vice versa.
    Play by ear - check the sound in both small and large speaker mode - you'll definitely hear a difference in output but nothing more drastic than that.

I use a dedicated cd player and have none of the problems you mention - I'm pretty sure investing in a standalone cd player would help - if you have a cassette deck or some other media player with phono inputs, connect it up to your sherwood and see if the subwoofer kicks in when the item in question is playing.

Good luck.

7. Mothman

Mothman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gargoyle, Thanks for the info. I telephoned Sherwood in the USA today
    and they confirmed that I should have my 'Fronts' set to small otherwise
    the processer would not send the correct info to the sub out as it would
    assume base was being provided by large front woofers. I hope to get the
    receiver back from RS tomorrow, so I'll connect it up and have a play and
    see if changing the settings makes a difference.

I do have a 'Pioneer' stand alone CD but unforunately it won't fit under the
    telly with all the other gubbins (receiver, dvd, ntl box ect) so I was hoping to
    get away with playing CD's with a DVD player. However if this means
    that sound quality is going to be sacrificed then I will have to have a
    re-think. Unfortunately part of the deal with 'Her in doors' was that installing
    HC kit would mean my old but good audio gear (Technics amp, 200w Audio-masterspeakers ect)
    would be relegated to the attic, so I need the HC to provide at least a half decent audio quality.

Keep you posted, Cheers