Help needed setting up new tv with peripherals

dom1978

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, with alot of help and research from AV forums I recently purchased my new tv, I've been continually reading on here helping me set it up but I'm now a little confused and hoping someone can help me as I'm not that knowledgeable on this subject. I've just bought a Samsung es46 8000 and have connected it up to my system like my old tv was, ps3, sky+ hd, old samsung dvd player all connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR1911 amp, then HDMI out to my tv, so all peripherals into amp inputs, 1 output from amp to tv. A few questions, firstly I'm sure I read somewhere on here (but cant find it now:mad:) that this may not be the best way to set it up as the amp may not have as good a chip as the new tv or something, therefore all signals are reaching the tv through the older amp. Also the samsung dvd has now been replaced by a samsung 3d blu ray player, bd6100 I think. So my question is whats the best way to connect up my ps3, 3d blu ray player, sky+ hd box, denon avr1911 and Samsung es46 8000. Id like best quality for sound and picture for each peripheral please, be it hdmi's/optical leads, whatevers necessary, also do I need any particular version hdmi cable, Ive read conflicting things saying all hdmis are the same, and you need version 1.4 or something for 3d. Any help would be massively appreciated and will happily repay with boiler/central heating/plumbing info needed :laugh:

Personally, if you can connect everything up by HDMI, then that's the way I'd do it. The aspect about the "chip" is I suspect to do with "upscaling" from standard definition to HD - some amps will do this fine but on occasions the TV chip could do a better job. Depends on the makes TBH. Stick with HDMI, as the sound will be the best you can expect from all your peripherals.

thanks for the reply, so your saying all peripherals into the amp via hdmi, then hdmi out to the tv as apposed to any of the peripherals connected directly to the tv itself via hdmi?

That's the way I'd do it if (a) I had enough HDMI inputs, and (b) I didn't need to be doing "two things at once", e.g. playing PS3 on the TV and listening to music.

thanks again, makes putting the new blu ray in a bit easier as i dont need to re wire everything up the old chimney to the tv

HDMI has the ‘potential’ to be an ‘all-in-one’ solution – note ’potential’.

Whilst for some of your Sources a single HDMI may be ideal for others it’s not so straightforward!

SKY+ HD requires an Optical cable (in addition to the HDMI cable) if you wish to get DD 5.1 into your AVR – SKY ‘limit’ the HDMI Output to Video + 2.0 ‘Stereo’ audio so not ideal where the show you are viewing is offering you DD 5.1!

The PS3 and 3D Blu-ray will be fine with a single HDMI cable to the AVR with the AVR connected to the TV via an HDMI cable – set the AVR to video ‘Pass-thru’ if you want to ensure you are not processing the video images one too many times!

Ignore talk about HDMI versions numbers (1.4, 1.3, etc.) and concentrate on any particular ‘features’ you may require your hardware or cables to cater for – 3D is the obvious one with your system and the AVR is capable of passing a 3D signal so no real problems that I can see!

Joe

Good point about the Sky HD Joe. Forgot about that. It's about time Sky pulled their finger and implemented 5.1 on the HDMI as well!

That's the way I'd do it if (a) I had enough HDMI inputs, and (b) I didn't need to be doing "two things at once", e.g. playing PS3 on the TV and listening to music.

Most amps let you select a seperate audio source from the video source, so that doesnt really make sense.

Take everything to the amp.
Only exception is my amp doesnt pass 3d 1080p properly so i take that straight to the tv and an optical to the amp. But your 1911 is a year newer than my 1610 so can pass 3d through fine.

Most amps let you select a seperate audio source from the video source, so that doesnt really make sense.

Take everything to the amp.
Only exception is my amp doesnt pass 3d 1080p properly so i take that straight to the tv and an optical to the amp. But your 1911 is a year newer than my 1610 so can pass 3d through fine.

Only analogue. Most amps do not allow you to select a digital source for a second zone. PS3 would be best on optical/digital. Does that make sense? Also I have my amp set up in full 7.1 with Bi-amping off a separate amp. There's no spare amp to drive a second zone anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom