1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed setting up internet connection on my laptop ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jamieuk23, Sep 3, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi I am trying to share my internet connection with my new laptop.

in my front room I have a router with 6 hubs on the back of it which allows me to add other connection like xbox live etc using a 2 way cable I think its called cat25 or something like that.

any way I have attached a cable to the usb port on my laptop and the other end of the cable I have plugged in to the back of my router.

I am just wondering what I need to do to set my laptop up so I can get a internet connection ??? when I try to connect to explorer it brings up a dial box which I am guessing is from a 56k modem dial up connection.

as you will no with adsl there is no need to dial, as the broadband should auto be on. do I need to install anything on my laptop ?? like the router cd that came with it or anything else ??

Bit confused on creating a new connection so I can get adsl on it

can any 1 point me int he right direction ??

cheers!

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    yep, the USB cable is no use to you, you need a cat5 cable to connect the laptop to the router.. ( or wireless if you have it?)

A cat5 cable will cost you £2 max.... :)

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Jamie,

Make sure you can connect to the router or another computer on the network to make sure the connection between the computer and the router works.

I'm going to assume you are using Internet Explorer. If so, do the following....

Go to Tools -> Internet Options

Select the Connections tab

Half way down this window, you will see 3 options. Select the first option which says "Never dial a connection". It will probably be on "Always dial my default connection" which is the 56k modem dial up.

It should then look on the network for the internet connection and find the router.

Post back if you still have problems.

Richie.