Help needed selecting in-wall speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by SonOfTux, May 29, 2008.

1. SonOfTux

SonOfTux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I originally asked this question over in the speaker forum, but don't seem to be getting any responses, so I thought I'd ask it in here as I think there is probably more knowledge on in-wall speakers :smashin:

I'm in the final stage of completing my room renervation and I need to finally decide on in wall speakers for the fronts & centre for my TV/surround install.
    The living room is about 6mx4m with the TV going in the middle of one of the 4m walls. I'm building a false chimney breast as the wife wants a fireplace :(, so I will have about 8-12" of depth to play with.

I've got a budget of about £500-600. So far I've managed to narrow it down to the following.

Mordant Short Avant Archetect AW152 (Left+Right) & AW153 (Centre)

OR

Monitor Audio CPW RS (Left+Right), but I can't seem to find which speaker in their in wall range I can use as a centre speaker - anyone have anyone ideas?

Anyone have any experience of these speakers, or another set of in walls that will fit within my budget?

Any help gratefully received as info on in wall speakers is rather thin on the ground.

I did see that someone mounted some Mordant Short Alumni in-wall, but that may be a bit too obvious, I need the fronts to be as hidden as possible. The Wife has spoken :eek: (She doesn't realise that the 50"+ LCD is going to be a little difficult to hide :devil::rotfl:)

2. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +790
    Hi,

Look at the Speakercraft Range - US brand - highly respected for in wall speakers

Suave!

3. Gordie

Gordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was considereing buying the Bowers & Wilkins ones on the Simply Sonos website. There was a forum member who had used them in their install and loved them.

4. SonOfTux

SonOfTux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Had a look at the speakercraft range, but the SpeakerCraft AIM LCR range are outside my budget ( ~£250 and up ) and the SpeakerCraft AIM LCR3 just seem to be a little small (3" Woofers) and I'm worried that they may be a little underpowered. :confused:

Although I do like the ability to 'angle' the units (woofers and tweeters independently) when fitted in the wall. Makes final adjustments so much easier. :thumbsup: and at less that 3" depth, I could fit them just about anywhere.

Does anyone have any experience with the LCR3 series? How would they compare with the Mourdant Shorts above?

5. SonOfTux

SonOfTux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looked at the B&W range, but they were too expensive for my budget. The CWM LCR7's were £300 each :eek:

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You just use another CPW RS

7. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I've got 3 x MA Bronze ceiling speakers for the RLC channels and 2 x MA Radius for the rears. Sound awesome so i would recommend the MA's.

8. SonOfTux

SonOfTux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd love to use Ceiling speakers, but it's not an option as I have two old ceilings above the current plasterboard one ( one hardboard and one lath & plaster ) and routing cables across/through them is a nightmare.

I'm also afraid that I might bring the whole lot down :thumbsdow.

I was refused permission to pull them down by building control ( The Wife :devil: ) and all walls upstairs are built on top of the floorboards, but not always on top of joists :eek:.
    So I have to be VERY careful taking up flloorboards upstairs. The perils and joys of renevating a 150yr old pub eh :rolleyes:

The only good thing about the multiple ceilings is that you can't hear anything upstairs with the A/V system up quite loud. Makes it wife and sleeping 3yr old friendly :D.

9. tojo

tojo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, this is the advice I've had too, and MS in-wall have been recommended to me as the best option in the price range. The only other option you might want to check out is simply creating a hole big enough to hold a standard speaker.

10. SonOfTux

SonOfTux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If I go with the MS' I'd rather not add the expense of the custom back boxes if not really necessary. If I don't use them, then what's the best thing to do with the void left behind the speakers? leave it empty or fill it with something? If so what?