help needed: screen for use in a bright kitchen

D

duancg

I know this sound weird, but I want to use projector in my kitchen instead of a TV. And I hope to have a reasonable (don't need to be great) quality even during day time or with lights on.

The projected image is on a white matte wall at one corner, and there is a nearby window (on the other wall of the same corner) that could bring some sunlight but not directly onto the image area.

Initial tests are dissapointing, so I wonder if a screen can help, and what kind of qualities (grey? high contrast? high gain? etc.) should I look for when choosing one.

I am totally newbie to screens and couldn't find any existing post have same situation. Any help would be appreciated!

David
Can I ask you to read the forums rules with regards to self promotion :)

Hi duancg,
Please forgive me for putting a dampner on your expectations here but...
Your projector will probably last less than a year if used in your kitchen if you cook every day. The warranty will be voided if used 'Outside normal operating conditions' and kitchens are deffinately outside those conditions.

If the window to one side of the screen is very close, no screen will help that much although it will depend on sunlight.
I have both white and grey glass beaded screens here, which are your best option, and tests prove they do not help enough when too close to light/windows. It's predominantly down to the distance and angle from which the external light reflects off the surface.
Your more than welcome to arrange a visit with your projector and we can test it using several screens next to window/s. You may find that the Grey glass beaded screens are more surfice to your requirements if you can tilt the angle of screen/projection in a way to absorb/reflect less light from the window.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Nik, the tip about kitchen is a good one, although I am pretty lazy at cooking, I don't want my projector to be greasy over time. After a few trys I pretty much gave up the idea of mounting it permanently in the kitchen, instead, I will use it in my bedroom where light is much controlled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik, my room is semi open plan to my kichen and I was thinking of buying a projector. The kitchen has a powerful extractor and I would not actually be using the projector and cooking at the same time.

Would this be ok, I would I still end up killing the pj?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom