HELP NEEDED!! Samsung PS42C7H SERIOUS component/judder problems!

• Thread starter butter4yomuffin
  • Start date
B

butter4yomuffin

Hi everyone!

I've joined this forum because I am totally at my wits end at this moment!

My patience with this particular plasma display has been tested to it's outer limits by now...
In short: I am playing with my 3rd C7H plasma now!
The first one got replaced because of a synthetic hair between the screen and top-glass plate...(that was a first according to Samsung Holland!)
The second one had major burn-in problems, even though I adjusted my contrast and brightness levels to very low (45 / 49)
After having repaced that one as well, the 3rd plasma in a row has been installed to this point.

But the agony hasn't been put to rest!!
Immediately after installation and inserting the first dvd in my Pioneer DV747-A I went nuts!!
The menu from the highly praised restored version of "Lawrence of Arabia" already suffered from light judder problems...
This seems to be the term used for digital distortion which can occur as vertical hick-ups in the picture displayed, but it can be much worse than that!

Especially with slow camera-pans, or steady shots where there is fast movement from left to right or vice versa.
The effect that occurs in these shots are best discribed as short freezes of the picture as if the plasma isn't able to reproduce all the digital data in a smooth manner.
This all happening in the component (progressive) mode (with the acclaimed Audioquest YIQ-X cable!)
So I desided to try and hook hings up with an old fashioned scart.

And to my surprise......Problem solved!!
So I concluded that the problem had to be in the component signal translation.

So I called my supplier and had a Samsung guy over here who didn't know this particular component problem with this display, but things got really crazy when he wanted to exclude the Audioquest cable and hooked the screen up with 2 of your average black chinch audio cable's.
One red and white for the red and green connector, and another white for the blue connector....

To both our astonishment the judder-effects had dissapeared!
Of course the brilliance and overall quality was less than with the YIQ, but still...
So it had to be the cable!?!
I was very surprised this came out this simple test, but what else could we conclude?

So again, I called the supplier of the display and they offered me a brand new Audioquest cable under garanty, so that was a plus!

Received the cable jus this week....(worth 100 euro+..)
Hooked it up and put "Lawrence" back in the Pioneer, this particular disc giving the worst component picture and thus being my test dvd.

Menu came up..........and I realised I was back at square one!!
Same vertical jumps as before and also the famous train sequence (the one with the horses on passing by..) AGAIN the same judder/freezes as I experienced before!!
I was so frustrated!! Even more realising that with the simple cable's costing less than 2 euro we used with the test there was NO JUDDER AT ALL!!!!

So there you have it!

What the hell is wrong with this display!?!?!

Is it the YIQ cable?? Giving maybe too much of a well shielded and 'high-end' pure signal as where the cheap cables don't?...
I don't believe that can be the case.That would be plain silly!

Is it the Pioneer's component output dying on me?? That would also be a surprise to me, because it doesn't have any problem giving me a clean picture thrue these cheap a**........well, you fill in the blanks.
Also tried the interlaced setting on the Pioneer, to no effect...

So, I am lost here!
Asked a neighbor to come by and hooke up his dvd-player, just to rule out my Pioneer as the problemchild, but other than that..

Where do I go next??
I really don't want Samsung to pick up my display AGAIN before I rule out any other possible failure in the chain.

So I dearly hope anyone in here can give this whole story some thought and possibly come up with a hint, or even better a plausible reason and/or solution to this never ending story!

I already read about the benefits of turning off the DNIe in the service-menu, and so I followed up on that, but besides the deeper blacks and better facial-colour tones, the judder is still there.....

So............ANYONE BARE WITH ME?!?!

Thanks for your time reading this and I hope someone around here can be of any help.

Greetings from Holland!

Butter

stainway

Asked a neighbor to come by and hooke up his dvd-player, just to rule out my Pioneer as the problemchild, but other than that..

Greetings from Holland!

Butter

Groeten terug!:D

I think you should try different DVD player first.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I think he said he already had?

Seems very odd to think that a cable could make that much difference, unless it was faulty and since it's been replaced...

Hmmmm, which region DVD is it?

B

butter4yomuffin

I think he said he already had?

Seems very odd to think that a cable could make that much difference, unless it was faulty and since it's been replaced...

Hmmmm, which region DVD is it?

I am going to replace the dvdplayer next week.
As for the dvd, it's region 2.
But also the DVD Hero (R2) has lots of judder problems, so I don't think the problem lies in the DVD's.

It didn't have any problems (with these 2 movies) of this kind with the previous display!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom