Help needed regarding potential purchase and set up

S

SteveDangerous

I've read through a number of relevant posts in this forum, but I'm still confused!

I am thinking of buying a Panasonic DMRE85, but I'm not sure how to insert it into my setup.

My current setup is as follows:

Loop 1 - S-Video Scart
NTL->VCR->TV

Loop 2 - RGB Scart
NTL->DVD Player->TV
(My TV only has one RGB Scart)

I had originally intended to insert the DMRE85 in the setup as follows, but now I'm not sure that this will do what I'm expecting:

Keep loop 1 as it is, change loop 2 to

NTL->DVDR->DVD Player->TV

The two things I am confused about are
1. Will I be able to play a DVD in my DVD player while recording on my DVDR from the NTL box, or will the DVD player output interfere or override in some way?
2. Do I understand correctly that although the DVDR will loop the NTL RGB signal through when in standby mode, when recording the output will be composite only, and when timer mode is set there will be no output at all?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

1. Will I be able to play a DVD in my DVD player while recording on my DVDR from the NTL box, or will the DVD player output interfere or override in some way?
If you go for the Panasonic E85 you'll be able to record onto the HDD of your new machine whilst watching a DVD in the drive - so why bother with a second DVD player? If you really do need the second player (perhaps for SACD compatibility?) then I would suggest getting a 2into1 such as this.

2. Do I understand correctly that although the DVDR will loop the NTL RGB signal through when in standby mode, when recording the output will be composite only, and when timer mode is set there will be no output at all?
The RGB picture will pass through when in standby - whether or not on Timer mode. Likewise whilst recording - you can watch a DVD, a previous recording or your current recording in full RGB quality. Basically you can set the output to RGB and it will then output EVERYTHING in RGB.

Rasczak said:
If you go for the Panasonic E85 you'll be able to record onto the HDD of your new machine whilst watching a DVD in the drive - so why bother with a second DVD player? If you really do need the second player (perhaps for SACD compatibility?) then I would suggest getting a 2into1 such as this.

Yup, I have a rather nice Sony SACD player which I want/need to keep (it also plays SVCDs, of which I have a lot). Do I take it from your response that I would absolutely need the switchbox, or is it just preferable? I had already looked at the Trilogy 3, but was wondering whether I really needed it.

Rasczak said:
The RGB picture will pass through when in standby - whether or not on Timer mode. Likewise whilst recording - you can watch a DVD, a previous recording or your current recording in full RGB quality. Basically you can set the output to RGB and it will then output EVERYTHING in RGB.

Thanks for this. I only asked because some people with similar Panasonic DVDRs have reported in this forum that there is no output in Timer Mode.

A final, slightly unrelated question: in my current set up, why is it that when I play videos on my VCR the output from the VCR goes both ways round the loop? In other words, I pick up the VCR output on both the S-Video and the RGB input on my TV. Presumably this would mean that I would be unable to play a video while recording on my DVDR without recording the tape!

Many thanks for your advice,
Steve

SteveDangerous said:
I only asked because some people with similar Panasonic DVDRs have reported in this forum that there is no output in Timer Mode.

My E95 doesn't pass anything through on the SCART when in timer mode. However it still passes through a full signal via the RF output (piped from my NTL box), so if I have it in timer mode this is what I switch to.

Not an ideal situation as I normally use just my amp for sound, so I have to turn that off and turn up the volume on the TV instead. Better than nothing though.

It makes you wonder what goes through the designers' minds, doesn't it? I mean, why not keep passing through the signal when it's in timer mode?

Regards

Nelviticus

Nelviticus said:
My E95 doesn't pass anything through on the SCART when in timer mode. However it still passes through a full signal via the RF output (piped from my NTL box), so if I have it in timer mode this is what I switch to.

See, this is why I'm confused! :confused: :)

There seem to be a lot of contradictory views on this.

Steve

My E95 doesn't pass anything through on the SCART when in timer mode
Seriously? My E95 passes through fine when on Timer. I set the programme, press 'Timer Record' - a note comes up saying only playback (HDD/DVDR) is available - if I then switch the unit to standby the picture returns being passed through. Does your unit not do this Nelviticus - if so what are you connection settings/type?

Sorry to pester you Rasczak, but would you mind addressing my other issue again. Do I absolutely need a switchbox like the Trilogy, or is it just preferable?

I must say I'm very impressed with this forum. :thumbsup: I've never had this many responses to anything I've ever posted in a public place before! Then again, most things I write are even more boring than the questions I have posed here. :D

Steve

Sorry to pester you Rasczak, but would you mind addressing my other issue again. Do I absolutely need a switchbox like the Trilogy, or is it just preferable?
It could be essential - there could potentially be a conflict with passing through one DVD player through a DVD recorder or vice versa. The best bet is to try it and see - try without the switchbox and if you run into problems buy one to resolve them.

I am very interested in this pass through on Timer issue. I have had several mods made to my E95 (added a VGA output and Ethernet connection) and am interested to know if these have altered my unit from standard or whether Nelviticus is just having a connection problem?

Aha. Thank you Rasczak. Is there anything you don't know about these machines? :)

For the record: when you put it into timer mode it stops passing through anything on the SCART and on the optical audio out, but if you then put it into standby mode it starts passing it through again.

I'm gradually getting used to this fancy box of tricks ...

Regards

Nelviticus

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom