1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed regarding 5.1 speaker choice, ~£500 budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SimonMallion, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As topic suggests, I need some help.

I had originally decided to buy the Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere Plus 5.1 speaker set (http://www.petertyson.co.uk/msavantpremiere.shtml) with wall brackets from www.petertyson.co.uk for ~£480.

I started to get a bit concerned regarding the phyisical size of these speakers and wondered if they can output a decent amount of midrange?

I dont want to buy floor standing speakers since I have a small child and don't want them damaged so I opted for a wall mounted option.

These speakers would be mostly used for movies, in fact probably 80% movies, 20% music. The room size is about 20ft by 12ft. The amp I will be using is a Denon AVR1705. If I can afford another speaker then I would ideally like a 6.1 setup.

I have heard people mention that Wharfedale may do a decent set with a good sound for about £500. Does anybody have any recommendations based on my criteria??

2. benbo

benbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its any help Simon i went for the same speaker package from Tysons and am very pleased with it,its my first HC set up to.
    My room measures 18' x 12' and i have the speakers hooked up to a Yamaha amp and i have no complaints. :thumbsup:
    Go for it and you won't be disappointed.

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    80% movies/20% music, 20ft x 12ft room - I would say these would be a pretty good choice, as long as you aren't expecting them to go indecently loud. I have these in a 15' x 15' room and they are perfect for my needs (which are pretty exclusively movies and TV for this arrangement). I never had a chance to demo the Wharfedale 9 5.1 package though, which retails for similar price, but it does seem to be well reviewed, and you might want to see if you audition these as well.

5. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses, I will try and audition the M30i, Mordaunt Shorts and Wharfedale Diamond 9's to see what I like the sound of best (and also which has highest wife acceptance factor).

6. rishi

rishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. rishi

rishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. capt_janeway

capt_janeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My set-up too :)

But damn this forum...now considering upping my mortgage and converting my loft to a HC now the hubby has gone :devil: