Help needed reconfiguring home cinema ATMOS set up

dirtyharry

Novice Member
Following a house move I need to completely reconfigure my ATMOS set up but am struggling to determine which of my existing kit I can reuse and what I need to purchase. I'm still a bit of an amatuer at this so please bear with me.

Existing kit: (bit of a mishmash I'm afraid!)
Denon X1400H AVR, which I would like to incorporate into the new set up as it's only 2 years old
Mission Centre and L/R floor standing speakers
Ruark Vita 50 subwoofer
Ruark Epilogue L/R Bookshelf speakers used as rears
JBL Control 1 speakers used as F/R height speakers

Problem I have is I'm not allowed ANY wall or ceiling mounted speakers, or speaker cables on view anywhere, and I do not fancy pulling up carpets in our brand new lounge to bury them! So logic says I need to start looking at wireless kit, especially for the rears, and sacrifice some or all of my existing speakers.

I understand my Denon cannot be linked to a wireless ATMOS soundbar so maybe I can keep the front speaker set up and invest in upfiring speakers to replace the f/r height speakers (mixed reviews though?) but it's the rears that are causing the issue. If I opt for wireless rears I'm assuming the audio will be slightly out of sync with speakers connected directly to the Denon? Or not?

I'm desperate to rebuild an ATMOS set up, or as close as I can achieve, so can anyone help with some suggestions as to what would be the best options? Apologies for the length of the post!.

Last edited:

John7

Problem I have is I'm not allowed ANY wall or ceiling mounted speakers, or speaker cables on view

Better just get a decent sound bar and sell your AVR (or use it in another room) ;)

Don't quite know how you would achieve a full Atmos setup without height/rear speakers or wiring.....

Gerry557

Most people wanting your requirements would plan inwall speakers and wires hidden in ceiling. If your not happy pulling up carpet then this sounds like a no no anyway.

You could try some dline trunking, paintable, along the top of skirting but I'm not sure about ceiling speakers with that method. Can you pull up floorboards in room above.

A carpet fitter won't charge that much to restretch your carpet if you do pull it up

dirtyharry

Novice Member
Thanks for your comments guys, looks like I'm going down the wireless route using lg soundbar and surround sound speakers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your comments guys, looks like I'm going down the wireless route using lg soundbar and surround sound speakers.

I would re-consider the 3.1.2 with the upfiring speakers if you meet the Dolbys recommendations. I mean real hifi speakers vs. soundbar, there is no contest. You will learn to live without the effect channels. Alternative option would be 5.1 with Yamaha receiver that supports for wireless surround speakers (Music Cast 20), but while they don´t require speaker wires they do need wall sockets near by each for power cables.

For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted), with a height between 7.5 and 14 feet (2.3 to 4.3 meters), and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom