Help Needed Re Plasma + Set Up

A

AFCB01

Have searched the forums but as a 'novice' some of it seems way above my head!

I am about to purchase a Plasma TV - Budget about 1200/14000.
This will need to be connected to Sky Plus and a Panasonic DVD recorder.

Additionally a 5.1 surround system if anybody can recommend one for about 100.00

The confusion I am having is to what I need to set this up for the best picture and sound quality (ie connections , boards etc)

If anybody also thinks there is a better plasma for around this price then please let me know

not being funny but you really need to decide on plasma first....what size screen you after?

After a 42 inch screen so thought the Panasonic seemed to be the best from the reviews.
So really just needed to know exactly what I needed to get and what connections to use to get the best out of it.
I have to intention of using it as a computer monitor or for games playing purposes if this makes a difference.
Have also looked at a lot of the pictures with all the leads buried in the wall which I want to do but was just curious as to what happens if any of the leads caese to function - ie how easy can you access them if buried in the wall.

As I said any help greatly appreciated

at the simplest level you can run sky through your panny dvd recorder and then component out to the screen so need component or dual component / composite input board. This has advantage of only one cable to screen (plus power of course).

MEP

When you say at the simplest level does this still produce a high picture quality.

Also are you saying I only need the board so that there is only one connection to the TV

That is my understanding

As you can tell am a bit dim and all this technicality is a bit above me so any help is greatly appreciated

Just dont want to spend the money and be disappointed would just rather know exactly what I need to get to start off with

you will get excellent picture via component from the dvdr and running sky through the dvdr will be good too.......add a js rgb to vga converter for sky (as the vga input comes as standard on panny) and that will be even better...but I would see how you like it via dvdr first. So you will have 2 inputs...component terminal board you need to buy and vga which is there anyway...you could use this for pc if you don't run sky thru it using the js.

Many thanks

Are the component terminal boards the same as the Tuners such as TUPTA600B (with these having the additional facility to pick up terrestial tv)

There is an electronics shop where I work that currently has

The PWD7
The Tuner TUPTA600B
and a 3 year warranty

This in all is 1699.00 - would you say this is a good deal or not

I am a little unsure how good the tuneris - I understand that I can connect everything to it and then have one lead to the Plasma

I am guessing the set up you have advised is better?

Don't touch the tuner box. The set-up as previously advised will be far better.

What purpose does this tuner actually serve then as it seems plenty dear enough.

I am certainly guided by your advice - can you recomment a component terminal board and one of the js rgb to vga converters that would suit the set up above

As I said thanks again for your help - am hoping to get this within the next month so may well be on here again seeking advice when I get it all!

Also what cables are best to use - there seems so many around and I guess at the end of the day these are as important as anything else

yep, just go for the component board, just slips in the back of the screen

go to av sales web site mate and look atthe panny pw7 screens you will see a link that has pictures of all the terminal boards available....they also sell the js rgb to vga converter (these also requires a scart cabel in from sky and a vga cable out to the screen) You can always add this after if you think you need it...i.e if you are unhappy with sky via the dvdr

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom