• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered Help needed re connections

dasmith

Guys I need a little clarification and help as to how I’ve got all my equipment connected. MODS, if this is in the wrong forum, please move.
I’ve started reading recently that I should be fully connected via HDMI, but I have one connection using an Optical cable. I’ll list below how I currently have it all connected.
Sky Q to TV via HDMI
UHD BD to Receiver In via HDMI
Receiver Out to TV via HDMI
TV to Receiver via OPTICAL

I don’t always switch the Receiver on to watch TV (though I do find I’m doing it more often now). I’ve read that using Optical means I’m not getting the best sound possible.
If I unplug the Optical from the receiver I get no sound, so obviously how I’ve currently got it setup is not perfect.

I just need clarification and help with how it should be all connected, and if it could be done better.
Is my issue something to do with ARC? I don’t fully understand ARC and what it does.

The kit I have is on my signature below.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

gibbsy

There is nothing wrong with your connections. They will all work and give you audio. I'm not a big fan of ARC, it has never seemed to work right for me with a Panasonic TV and Denon receiver, so I tend to stick to optical. That's fine for me with my set up as all I'm ever going to get over ARC or optical is SD 5.1.

However you have a more modern you may be able to get Dolby Digital + and this can only be passed by HDMI thus needing to be connected to the receiver by ARC.

ARC is the Audio Return Channel. It will have a dedicated port on the TV. When both TV and receiver are enabled then the TV's audio can be passed to the receiver with the same cable that links the two for video and audio from the receiver. You don't need the optical to be connected.

As for the Sky Q I would connect that directly to the receiver and enable the receiver's audio pass through as some content on Sky, I believe depending on package, has HD sound. By connecting Sky Q to the TV you will lose HD audio. Everything would go through the receiver.

My connection would therefore be:
TV>Receiver>HDMI ARC.
Sky Q>Receiver HDMI
Player>Receiver HDMI

dasmith

Thanks Gibbsy for your reply. Much appreciated. I’ve just ordered a newer up to date HDMI cable to replace the older one going from Sky to TV. I’ll re route the new cable to go from Sky to Amp as you suggest.

razy60

Thanks Gibbsy for your reply. Much appreciated. I’ve just ordered a newer up to date HDMI cable to replace the older one going from Sky to TV. I’ll re route the new cable to go from Sky to Amp as you suggest.
One thing I would like to add is keep the optical cable connected as I have found that if on occasion the arc messes up you have a standby audio I also use it for the built in apps in the TV when necessary.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI cable - unless you are seeing a specific problem with your existing cable there is no need to change the cable.

ARC - as gibbsy and razy60 point out it can be a real mixed bag due to its reliance on you having to also enable HDMI CEC 'Control' on the TV and AVR, which can cause control issues on some combinations of kit so keep your Optical Digital Audio cable handy.

Once you have your SKY box and BD Player connected directly the the AVR you will only require ARC/Optical Digital Audio when you wish to listen to the TV Tuner or Streaming Apps via the AVR.

Joe

dasmith

HDMI cable - unless you are seeing a specific problem with your existing cable there is no need to change the cable.

ARC - as gibbsy and razy60 point out it can be a real mixed bag due to its reliance on you having to also enable HDMI CEC 'Control' on the TV and AVR, which can cause control issues on some combinations of kit so keep your Optical Digital Audio cable handy.

Once you have your SKY box and BD Player connected directly the the AVR you will only require ARC/Optical Digital Audio when you wish to listen to the TV Tuner or Streaming Apps via the AVR.

Joe

Thanks for your input. Thanks for the heads up re the ARC issues. One thing i'd like to know, can i keep the optical cable plugged in or do i have to unplug it. Will it cause issues if both the HDMI and Optical are both fitted.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom